cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I print in black without using my color ink on my pixma mx 922 printer?

stj
Apprentice

how do I print in black without using my color ink  on my pixma mx 922 printer?

75 REPLIES 75

Ramona
Authority

Hi sti,

You can set your printer to print in grayscale mode to use only the black ink to produce the text and images on your printouts.  To select the grayscale printing option, please follow these steps:

1.  Click / Select 'START' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, then select DEVICES AND PRINTERS.

2.  Click your right mouse button on the listing for your PIXMA MX920 series printer, then select PRINTING PREFERENCES from the menu that appears.

3.  Click on the MAIN tab.

4.  Select PLAIN PAPER as the Media Type.  If any other paper type is selected, color ink will be used to create the black text that appears on the page, even if the grayscale printing option is selected.

5.  Select the checkbox for GRAYSCALE PRINTING near the bottom of the window. 

Note: If either 'Borderless Printing' or 'Duplex Printing' are enabled from the Page Setup tab, grayscale will be created using a combination of the color (dye) inks to prevent smearing.  In addition, sometimes there is coding embedded in webpages and certain PDF files that tell the printer to print using color ink; in these instances, the printer will produce the black on the page using a combination of the color inks, even if the grayscale option is selected.

6.  Click APPLY and then OK to save the changes and close out of the Printing Preferences window.  The printer will now only use the pigment black ink tank.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Can you tell us how to set black only ink printing for a Mac. I have searched this whole forum, nothing here helps.

Hi macwulf,

So we can better assist you, please reply with what version of Mac OS X is on your Mac.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Ver 10.6.8 

My mac uis running Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.1

My printer is

Canon MX920 series:

Print Server:                                    Local

Driver Version:                                2.0

Default:                                           Yes

System Printer Sharing:                 No

Shared:                                           No

URI:                                                 dnssd://Canon%20MX920%20series._ipp._tcp.local./?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-00BBC11FA592

PPD:                                                Canon MX920 series-AirPrint

PPD File Version:                            2.0

PostScript Version:                         (3010.000) 0

CUPS Version:                                2.2.9 (cups-462.9)

Scanning support:                          Yes

Scanning app (bundleID path):      -

Scanning app version:                   -

Scanner UUID:                                23F51F00-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Printer Commands:                        none

AirPrint Version:                              1.2

URF Version:                                  1.2

Added:                                            Monday, December 10, 2018 at 12:26:27 PM Eastern Standard Time

CUPS filters:

image/jpeg:    processed in printer

image/urf:    processed in printer

Fax support:                                   No

PDEs:           

Hose can I use just the large black ink source to print?

Hi macwulf,

You can create a grayscale preset so that you can print using only the black ink in the unit.  To do this, please follow these steps from your Mac:

1. Open the APPLICATIONS folder.

2. Open the TextEdit program. When the program is open, a small white window will appear.

3. Click FILE at the top left corner and choose PRINT.

4. In the Print dialog screen, look for the third drop-down menu, labeled as 'Textedit'.

5. Expand this Menu and choose QUALITY AND MEDIA.

6. In the Quality and Media menu, check the box labeled GRAYSCALE.

7. Next, look up for the second dropdown menu, labeled PRESETS or STANDARD.

8. Expand this menu and choose SAVE AS.

9. Type in 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White', then click OK.

10. Simply change the preset back to 'Standard' for color printing and then 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White' for black and

white printing.  You will now be able to select the Grayscale preset from any application that you print from.

Please note that if you have any other paper type selected other than plain paper (i.e., photo paper, envelopes, labels, etc.), or perform duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer will use a combination of the color inks to make the grayscale text on the page, even with the grayscale option selected.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Hello,

Could I receive help with this same issue using a Mac, OS X, version 10.10.3?  I tried following the previous instructions, but could not find a box labeled grayscale.  I only use my printer ocassionally, yet am finding that I need to replace my cartridges after just a few months.  

I also would love to be able to print in "draft" mode, as I used to do this with a previous competitor's printer I had before my Canon Pixma 922.  Unfortunately this is always blocked out for me to select.  Could you please help advise on this issue as well?

Thank you!

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi RMx2,

Please check what driver and version you have installed. To do this, please open the Applications folder, then the Utilities folder and click on System Information. Select Printers in the left column. Select the MX922 from this list. Please copy the information from the window and paste it in a reply to this post.

Hello,

It appears that RMx2 never followed up on the request for information from Patrick-Product Expert on how to print in Black and White  However, I have the same question as him/her.  Here is the information for my Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II.  (I have other Canon printers that I wish to "force" to print in black and white too.  It appears the information I've supplied for the Mark II is the same for them.)   I also just noticed that there was a "Canon Injet Printer Software Update" pushed to my computer by Apple.  It was version 3.2.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Best, Mr. Luigi

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 10.50.51 AM.png

Announcements