cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I print in black without using my color ink on my pixma mx 922 printer?

stj
Apprentice

how do I print in black without using my color ink  on my pixma mx 922 printer?

75 REPLIES 75

dude, greyscale printing is not longer there!!!

On my Pixma MP600 it doesn't matter which of my 3 different aged Macs, which of my 3 different OS's, which driver version, the problem seems to be a fundamental problem with printers (at least Canon & HP). A few years back printers would print anything you asked if there was a drop of ink in one cartridge. There was no chip programmed to control it. Now, you can't do anything unless all cartridges have ink no matter what colour or greyscale you want to print! Money making racket like so many other things pushed onto us out of our control, I hate this stuff.

I need this information also. 

I use a MacBook Pro.  My operating system is OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Here is my driver info you requested from previous inquiries:

Canon MX920 series:

Print Server: Local
Driver Version: 2.0
Default: Yes
System Printer Sharing: Yes
Shared: Yes
URI: dnssd://Canon%20MX920%20series._ipp._tcp.local./?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-00BBC123F2EB
PPD: Canon MX920 series-AirPrint
PPD File Version: 2.0
PostScript Version: (3010.000) 0
CUPS Version: 2.1.0 (cups-435.2)
Scanning support: Yes
Scanning app: /Library/Image Capture/Devices/Canon IJScanner5.app
Scanning app (bundleID path): -
Scanning app version: 3.3.4
Scanner UUID: 15E06800-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Printer Commands: none
CUPS filters:
image/jpeg: processed in printer
image/urf: processed in printer
Fax support: No
PDEs: 

When I follow the instructions and open TextEdit, it does not give me the option of choosing 'Print' as you suggested to a previous inquiry.  I don't know how to get to a place where I can choose to print "grayscale" or "black and white."

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Mac compurer and my MG2510 Canon printer. 

Can you confirm to me that I need a color ink in the printer in order to print black and white, even though I do all the steps you recommended?

I did all these steps, but I do not have color ink in my printer, I only have black ink. It is giving me the following code: "Support Code : 1687 An ink cartridge is not installed properly. Open the printer's cover, make sure the ink cartridge is installed properly, and close the cover". However, the ink is properly installed.

Please give me feed back as soon as possible, or else I will bring back this printer to the store tomorrow.

Thank you,

Camille

How do I print on a Mac version 10.10.5? I was able to follow all the steps listed previously until I got to "Quality and Media" where I could see "Grayscale OFF" but I didn't have the option to click it or make changes. 

I too have OS X Yosemite 10.5.5 and the grayscale option is missing.

I have just downloaded and installed mcpd-mac-mx860-11_7_1_0-ea17_2.dmg and the printer driver shows as 13.7.1.0.

This is very frustrating. I do not want to print an A4 page of full colour just to get a ticket printed. It is far too expensive an option to print full page colour.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved ASAP for Apple as the grayscale option is available in Windows 

I did find the grayscale option but I have never come across, and hope I never come across again, such a convoluted way to change to grayscale. The grayscale option and all others should be available in all print dialogue boxes.

I guess the average user will just give up and print colour with it's associated expense

Hi, I have the same issue but with a Pixma MG7170

IMAC  OS X 10.11.3 

I have followed your direction and get to the grayscale label but there is no option box, it is permanently turned off.  I tried this through the printer features first and still the same thing.  Plain paper selected, single sided.  

thanks in advance for your help

regards

Robert 

This is how I set my "PRINT" menu up on my iMac OS10.11.3.....

@rbellie wrote:

Hi, I have the same issue but with a Pixma MG7170

IMAC  OS X 10.11.3 

I have followed your direction and get to the grayscale label but there is no option box, it is permanently turned off.  I tried this through the printer features first and still the same thing.  Plain paper selected, single sided.  

thanks in advance for your help

regards

Robert 

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.12.38 PM.png

Thank you Ramona! 

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/how-do-I-print-in-black-without-usin...  

These steps worked for my hardware:  

2014 Macbook Air, OSX ver 10.8.5, current Canon drivers installed 

Canon Pixma MG 6620, connected via wifi 

Very convoluted but I tested it and she's right, you need to use "File" - "Print" in TextEdit  to set the Canon Pixma printer options for grayscale globally on a Mac.  

Canon folks - this is ridiculous to not provide this setting as part of the Canon Quick Menu ...or at least provide clear instructions for the work-around for Mac users!!  It would also be very helpful to clarify whether the Grayscale setting indeed only uses black ink and not the color ink.  

I had time-sensitive black text-only materials to print, 2 color ink tanks were empty and I wasted about 3 hrs of valuable time searching help pages and various forums for what should be the most basic of settings.  Terrible! 

The day's shot now so figured I might as well make some screencaps for others.  Hope they are helpful. 

canongraysettings1a.png

I started with "Last Used Settings" in the "Presets" box to be sure I wouldn't mess up the Default settings. 

canongraysettings1b.png

Then in the box that says "TextEdit", select "Quality and Media" 

canongraysettings2a.png

That will bring up the "Grayscale Printing" box. Select that box. 

canongraysettings2b.png

Go back to the "Presets" box, and select "Save Current Settings as Preset..." 

canongraysettings2c.png

Give your new Preset a name. Be sure to select the "Only this printer" box.  Click "OK" 

Then you have to print it to save it (I tried "Cancel" in the print dialog box and it didn't save the setting).  

The red ink printed as gray on my test doc.   

canongraysettings2d.png

After you've printed your test doc, you can look in the "Presets" box for your saved setting and edit it, if desired. Click "Cancel" if you don't want to inadvertently change anything. 

canongraysettings3a.png

I opened an image in the Preview app to see if the setting would work outside of TextEdit, and it did.   

canongraysettings4a-test.png

In the "Presets" box, select your newly saved Preset and print.  The colors in my test image printed as gray.  

canongraysettings4b-test.png

Announcements