cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 9923

cbkotchka
Apprentice

Trying to scan  (MX920) on my MacBook Air with OSX  10.11.2

This has worked with no problem before.  Now I try to get into the scanner through various methods and get the same error:

"An error occurred while communicating with the scanner. (-9923)"

It is printing fine. Connected via WiFi.

I have restarted both the printer and computer more than once. No change.

39 REPLIES 39

Dendyke,  I am using a Mac on my wireless network. I am not having a problem now after I shut off my IP v6.  I had a temporary problem the other week after I update the firmware on the printer.  This time I rechecked that I have turned off IP v6 after the fiirmware update by turning it off again.  I also deleted and readded the printer.  That seemed to do the trick for me.  I am not certain if geoccar is Mac or PC.  HOw about you?  Are you PC or Mac?

Geoccar,

Are you a Mac or a PC?  I am on a MAC.  If you have a MAC, I suggest trying to use Preview to scan.  When I use Preview I get a import from Canon TS910 servies. This is not the fix, but it maybe a workaround.  

MatthewTVB
Apprentice

Hey - I had the same error. Just bought it. I connected it directly with the printer cable and scanning worked fine from there. Not ideal I know, but I have a Mac and just plugged the cable into the docking station. I hope this helps. 

BritishSoldier
Apprentice

Did anyone get a resoltuion to this?

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone has figured it out yet but I just did a google search and found out a solution!

I just bought the TS 9120 and I have MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 on my Macbook Pro. I setup up the printer via wireless router and could print without any problem but for the life of me could not get it to scan. Then I found this Link. So I went to "Common setting" under wireless and disable IPv6 and VOLA! Scanning works again! I figure I'll just put it out there so in case someone have the same problem, they will have one more way to try thing out!

Well mate, you nailed it. That worked for me. Took a few minutes to find the setting on the printer, but once ipv6 was disabled I can now scan without my 15 foot USB cable Smiley LOL

Really do appreciate you posting here and bloody annoyed that Canon doesn't know this considering the age of this thread.

But I guess they are in the business of selling ink now so ...

Again, cheers mate. You fixed it!

I can confirm, this fixed it for me. I have a TS3120 (TS3100 series) on a mac (first tried under El Capitan then upgraded to High Sierra to try to fix the problem, same problem under both). The printer is connected via wireless network. Printing worked just fine. Scanning did not work when connected via Wireless Network or the "Direct" method (through its own wireless network). (as a side note, connecting VIA USB cable and disabling the wireless/direct modes on the printer did allow scanning to work)

Under "Printers and Scanners" in System Preferences it said "Idle" under status for both the printer side and scanner side. However, scanning did not work at all. It did not work from the IJ Scan Lite utility, did not work from image capture and did not work from within the "Scan" tab in printers and scanners. Always got the -9923 message. 

I disabled IPV6, restarted IJ Scan Utility, and Voila! It worked. 

I will note, for this printer you have to log into the device directly to save the setting, as there is no interface on the printer for changing network settings (that i'm aware of, or if there is, there is no documentation on how to use it that I could find).

The way to fix this on a printer without a way to change the network settings on the printer itself:

Press the "i" button on the printer to print out the network information  sheets. Find the IP address of the printer (it was 3-2-12 for me, under 'Wireless Lan'). Go to your browser and type that IP address in. You will need to log in. The password is the serial number on the back left side of your printer (also on the box). Got to System info and LAN Settings -> LAN Settings -> Other Settings. Click "Yes". Then click TCP/IP Settings -> IPV6 -> Enable/Disable IPV6 and then choose 'Disable' and press okay. It might take 20-30 seconds for it to update the printer. 

Then restart IJ Scan Utility and it should work. 

Excellent. I've been trying to get the scanner working for two years now. 

I bought my new TS9120 on Saturday, and spent two frustrating days (including a 90 minute conversation with a Canon tech support person) without success. I changed my search term to the error message that pops up and found your answer.

As soon as I disabled IPv6, it worked. Thank you!

Thank you so much.  

Just as a point that may save someone time.  On my TS9120 I disabled IPv6 by clicking  

• the network icon
  • Lan Settings
  • Common Settings
  • TCP/IP settings
  • IPV6
  • Yes at the warning
  • Enable/disable
  • Disable
Announcements