Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

error 5100

Hi, have pixma mx490. have trouble shot all suggestions with the error msg. next is contact support that won't be open until Monday. i have swapped outt the carts. had problem with carts included with printer. have remanufactured and still problem. It has printed out what i think is the printer algnment. so see everything but yellow. unsure what to do next. does anyone think this might be a defect in the printer itself? The print carts don't come out to the center of the guide bar. I haven't touched any film or whatever. all the orange tabs are off. Just came today. Ordered off ebay but shipped by walmart. i can send it back if this is a frequent defect. thanks for the help. I'm new to this community but not to forums.

Product Expert

Re: error 5100

Hi jetwriter53,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you.

New Contributor

Re: error 5100

@ArthurJ wrote:

Hi jetwriter53,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you.

hi thanks. i ended up packing it up and posted it on ebay. I clearly posted it had the error. i added the four print carts, usb cable, the power cord etc. i’m sure it’s something simple. I turned it on and during boot up and the error 5100 popped up and i couldn’t go further. i did install the carts so it did print during alignment. its scan and copy modes were awesome. with print alignment feature. i bought it new on ebay who actually purchased directly from walmart. i was going to ship it back for a refund. i paid $43 w/free sh. to mail it back would cost $30. not worth it. i can’t  out a new printer esp since i bought xl print carts and usb device cable. i figure some canon expert can fix it or at least use the new ink carts. buyer pays shipping.  put a buy it now price below what i spent on everything. But it is against all cyber ethics to throw new stuff away. kind of like finding a new home for a puppy you just dont know how to handle.....i might be silly...with a starting bid of $.99 someone will make sure it wont be in the dumpster in a week. thanks for responding. cant even get the carts to come to center. it is packed and ready to go. i have purchased an all in one hp. more comfortable with them. i am impressed you are able to understand a canon.

wish you all good things. 

judy Taylor