cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon tr8520- won't scan

gtownann
Apprentice

Get message "set PC to start scanning. I can copy, I can actually scan If I go into utility scanner, but I can't just put something on the printer to scan.  then I get the message, set PC to start scanning.

how do I do that

19 REPLIES 19

That is crazy. So we have to go back and forth from printer to computer to scan if we have a MAC??? 

Computer is downstairs. Printer is upstairs. So i have to up and down instead of just having the printer scan to the computer. had i known this i would not have bough this dumb printer. wow. 

hardhat
Contributor

I am having scan problems too.  TR 8520, Mac Catalina 10.15.2.  It used to work great.

Today, Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite cannot find my scanner at all "failed to open a connection to the device".

On my phone, using the Canon App, I successfully scanned one document.  Then after that it refused saying "Cannot communicate with the scanner."

On the printer, I tried to scan directly, using DropBox which worked for me a few weeks ago.  It only gives the choice of color though, and is painful to use (multiple pages doesn't work).

Printing works.  Scanning is the problem.

Any help?  This all used to work so well.  I know my device is connected to the network because printing works.

Rebelranger
Apprentice

Exact same issue here. MAC OSX Catalina. Scan function worked great now it will not work at all. Connected to network. Reset and reinstalled all software. Printing is fine. 

If I try to scan, I get this error failed to open a connection to the device. And I am using the Scan utility lite app. I even tried with the system settings and no matter what, scanning is not working anymore.

Please advise...?

Did anyone get this to worK?

Just bumping this to the top, I was hoping for a solution, or a technical person from Canon to chime in with some ideas.  I'm still having the same issue.

I am having this same problem and nothing seems to fix it. I can no longer scan from the printer or from the computer. The printer no longer finds my PC and my PC can't find the scanner. I can print just fine, just not scan. I have tried the network utility tool and that does not fix the issue either - it says everything is fine. 

I am using windows 10. I am connected via wireless LAN. I tried to connect wireless DIRECT but it will not recognize the password. 

Canon - what is the solution here? What happened that this was working fine and suddenly it's not???

Hi hardhat,

Please try these steps:

1.  Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and then System Preferences.

2.  Click on Printers & Scanners.

3.  Click on the TR8520 on the left side and then [-] at the bottom to remove it.  Repeat until all TR8520's are gone.

4.  On your TR8520, please select the gear icon at the bottom of the display of the printer.

5.  Select Settings.

6.  Select Device settings.

7.  Select LAN settings.

8.  Select Common settings.

9.  Select TCP/IP settings.

10.  Select IPv6 and then Yes.

11.  Select Enable/disable IPv6 and select Disable.

12.  Press the Home icon in the upper left corner.

13.  Turn your PIXMA TR8520 off.

14.  Disconnect the power cord to your router.  Wait 5 seconds and then reconnect the power cord.

15.  When the router is back online, please turn your PIXMA TR8520 on.

16.  In the Printer's window on your Mac, click the [+] at the bottom and then click on Add printer or scanner.

17.  In the Add window, click 1 time on the TR8500 that appears.

18.  At the bottom, next to "Use", select Airprint from the drop down box.

19.  Click Add.

20.  The printer will set up.  Once it is, please click on it 1 time on the left side.

21.  On the right side, click Scan and then Open Scanner.

22.  When Image Capture opens, please attempt to scan.

If you are able to scan with Image Capture, please open the IJ Scan Utility and attempt to scan with that application.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This worked!  I had seen something about the ip6 before, but I probably tried to access it in "Wireless LAN settings" rather than "Common Settings".

Actually, when I tried IJ Scan Utility I got the error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (jp.co.canon.ij.scanutilitylite.icadriver error 4294967249.)  which was only because I had first started a scan through the System preferences -> printers & scaners -> open scanner, THEN I tried IJ Scan Utility.  Once I closed out the first scan attempt (which also worked), IJ Scan Utility did work (but a better error message would have been nice).

Anyway, thank you, I can't believe after months this is finally solved.

What about for Windows users?

Hi, jmdinkins! 

If you are using a Windows computer, try installing the latest drivers from our website:

PIXMA TR8520 Drivers & Downloads 

Select: TR8500 series MP Drivers Ver.1.02 (Windows) listed under Optional Drivers.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Hi. Yeah, I'm still having this problem. Is there ANY other way to deal with this? If I don't get this dealt with, I'm just going to buy a different brand printer. No matter what I try I get an IJ Scan utility message that says:

Cannot communicate with scanner. Possible reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from wired LAN.

- (If using Wi-Fi connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- (If using USB connection) USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

The printer says it has 73% signal strength. It (and the modem/router) is in the same place where it always is. It has worked for 2yrs and suddenly, no communication. I tried as much of your list as I could. All of the IPv6 stuff. But the printer doesn't show up on the list of available devices when I + printer. My Mac *will* automatically use the TR8520 to print a doc when I **File > Print** and automatically adds the printer to the list in the printer & scanner preferences when it does. So, I can't click on it in the "devices to add" list in order to see the "Use" dropdown box you described in step 18. Pleeeeeeeease. Get me out of this nightmare.

Announcements