cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon tr8520- won't scan

gtownann
Apprentice

Get message "set PC to start scanning. I can copy, I can actually scan If I go into utility scanner, but I can't just put something on the printer to scan.  then I get the message, set PC to start scanning.

how do I do that

19 REPLIES 19

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If you are using a Mac, you will have to scan from the computer using our IJ Scan Utility program.

If you are using a Windows computer, try installing the latest drivers from our website:

PIXMA TR8520 Drivers & Downloads

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same problem: Canont TR8550 printer which keeps saying "set PC to start scanning"..... ????  I am using a Mac OS High Sierra, and the instuctions I am seeing online do not apply.

A step by step instruction would be most appreciated.

Hi ldcoultre,

Please click once on your desktop so "Finder" appears in the upper left corner.

To the right of Finder, click on Go and then Applications.

In Applications, please click on the Canon Utilities folder and then click on the IJ Scan Utility folder.

Open IJ Scan Utility Lite and then click the Photo or Document button.

Are you able to scan?

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ScanUtilityLite/M/3.0/EN/SUL/Top.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had a similar problem, and it turned out that the printer was set for local USB rather than Wifi. I changed it on the printer and was able to scan from the printer to the MAC computer. the only problem is that it will not accumulate pages to include in one file. each page I put on the platen comes out as an individual file and there is no way to tell it to accumulate into one file. Help on this?

Shirah,

To scan multiple paged PDF files, our IJ Scan Utility program will have to be used.  Use the "document" option in the program for this.

If the program has not been installed on your Mac, visit the following link to download the program:

PIXMA TR8520 Software

Details on how to scan PDF files can be found at the following link:

PIXMA TR8520 Online Manual - Scanning Documents and Photos (Mac) 

I've been using the IJ Scan Utility Lite for years with the same laptop on the same wifi network, and it has worked consistently for scanning. Printing over wifi has worked consistently as well.  Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, my mac can't find the printer almost every time I try to print something.  I have to turn off and restart the printer, and then it works.  At the same time, the IJ Scan Utility completely stopped being able to connect to the printer, and I can't get that to work at all.  Any idea why this would suddenly change after literally years of consistently being fine?  I didn't change any settings, that I know of.  My Mac is on version Catalina, 10.15.7.

I have resolved the problem with my printer (and some other devices on my home LAN). My Xfinity wifi modem was set to enable its hotspot. When I disabled that, everything on my network came alive, and every device could see the other devices it was supposed to see. My Mac can now print to and scan from my Pixma TR8520. Also, my Chromecast devices, which I could not see on the network for the last month or so, can now be seen and work as they should. So I would suggest that you check your modem settings. Even if you thought you had disabled your wifi hotspot in the past, as I did, check it anyway. I think Comcast pushed an update that re-enabled the hotspot.

Hello there, 

I am having the same problem here. I just recently re-downloaded the latest drivers (after this issue happened to me 2 months ago). After that, it scanned just fine from the operation panel on the printer to my computer on the network (wireless). Now, it suddenly won't work for me. I can print a test page just fine. All I get is the Search Again for "save to PC" and it can't seem to find my computer. I've tried restarting everything. I JUST reinstalled the drivers to fix this problem the first time.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Best,
Moe

Forgot to mentino - I'm on windows.

Announcements