cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot communicate with scanner

dperaza
Apprentice

Pixma MG5420. It is connected directlty to PC with a USB. It was working fine for 6 months or so, now the scanner stopped working. If I try to initiate a scan using software, I get an error mesage from Scangear "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:..." and en error code 5,157,61. If I try to initiate from the PIXMA, I get "set the PC to start scanning."

The printer function works fine. I do not believe that the problem is the USB cable. I see that other people are having the same issue.

Is this a Scangear software problem? How do we fix?

6 REPLIES 6

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi dperaza,

Let's try this out first:

1. Start IJ Scan Utility.

2. Select "Canon XXX series" (where "XXX" is the model name) for Product Name.  And then try your scan again.

figure: IJ Scan Utility

If this doesn't work, let us know what operating system you are using and the exact information that appears in your scan error.  Also, please feel free to Contact Us

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

that did not fix it.

BUT...got fixed another way!. Had an email exchange with a Tech Support Rep from Canon, who after eliminating other possibilities, correctly diagnosed it. Sharing it here:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C:).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

4.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

5.  The folder should have 2 folders that start with PIXMA MG5420 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

6.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PIXMA MG5420.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Karl
Technical Support Representative

thanx dperaza !!!

My CANON MP240 was working with no problems since yesterday and after shuting down with installing updates from windows 10, i faced the same problem this morning. I googled it, i found your post, i folowed it and problem solved...

i guess is something with win10 and the the installig of updates during shutdown... cause nothing else happened in between...

Thanx again

I have windows 8 operaring system

I am using MG 3570 all in one device but I am not able to scan any file from it

Fixed mine by Downloading the latest software and drivers. My operating system is Windows 10.

Using Control panel I deleted the Canon Printer.

Then plugged the printer into the mains and connected USB to Laptop.

Then in Control Panel   All Control Panel Items  Devices and Printers I double clicked the Canon Printer icon.

In the subsequent window Clicked on Scan Photos or Documents.

IT SCANNED.

Opened Image Garden and clicked the Photo Icon (Scan placed items as Photos)

CANON MG2450 problem solved.JPG

Announcements