Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Wont Scan "failed to connect -21345"

Just got a brand new macbook running 11.2.3 and by mx490 printer will print wirelessly and through the usb, but will not scan using either.  I keep getting two errors that are posted in the two pictures.  "Failed to connect -21345" and "application ijscanner15s cannot be opened".  Ive followed some tips already posted on here...updated printer software, uninstalled and reinstalled on my computer, disabled the IPv6 thing.  Nothing working.  Its an old printer so am I just screwed now when I need to scan?  Thanks for your help guys

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 8.58.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-23 at 8.58.23 AM.png

Product Expert

Re: Wont Scan "failed to connect -21345"

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to scan from a Mac computer that is running macOS Big Sur Ver. 11.2.3.

From what I see, it appears as you do not have the scanning software installed. Instead, you are trying to open the scanner driver (which is not possible). To scan from a Mac computer that is running Big Sur, you will need to install both the ICA driver and a program called the IJ Scan Utility 2.

You can select and download the ICA Driver Ver. 4.1.3a from the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

When the file has finished downloading, please open it. Then, double-click on the icon that looks like a cardboard box. Then, you can follow the pop-up instructions to complete the install.

After you have installed the driver, please select and download the IJ Scan Utility2 Ver. 2.3.8 (dated 10/02/20) from the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

When the file has finished downloading, please open it. Then, double-click on the icon that looks like a cardboard box. Then, you can follow the pop-up instructions to complete the install.

After you install the IJ Scan Utility, please open IJ Scan Utility located in the Applications folder on your computer. You can follow these steps:

1. Click on the Finder icon located on the left side of the dock that is normally at the bottom of your computer screen.
  2. In the main menu bar at the very top of your computer screen, click on the word GO and select APPLICATIONS.
  3. When the Applications folder opens, double-click on the folder titled “Canon Utilities.”

When the Canon Utilities folder, please open the folder containing the IJ Scan Utility and then open the IJ Scan Utility Lite

You can use the IJ Scan Utility Lite program to scan a document. If your MX490 is connected wirelessly, please be sure that you see "MX490 series Network" in the product box.

You’ll find instructions for doing so in the scanning section of the online manual. Here is the link:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/M/MX490%20series/2.0/EN/SU/Top.html 

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

New Contributor

It worked, thank you so much. You're a genius. 

New Contributor

Thank you so much Canon for solving this problem that went on for over 3 weeks.

Whoever came up with this solution is an absolute genius!  I'm forever greatful!

New Contributor

I have the same problem. I followed the instructions above. I continue to get the same error message.