cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX490 Wont Scan on New MacBook "failed to connect -21345"

mmato27
Apprentice

Just got a brand new macbook running 11.2.3 and by mx490 printer will print wirelessly and through the usb, but will not scan using either. I keep getting two errors that are posted in the two pictures. "Failed to connect -21345" and "application ijscanner15s cannot be opened". Ive followed some tips already posted on here...updated printer software, uninstalled and reinstalled on my computer, disabled the IPv6 thing. Nothing working. Its an old printer so am I just screwed now when I need to scan? Thanks for your help guys

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 8.58.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-23 at 8.58.23 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to scan from a Mac computer that is running macOS Big Sur Ver. 11.2.3.

From what I see, it appears as you do not have the scanning software installed. Instead, you are trying to open the scanner driver (which is not possible). To scan from a Mac computer that is running Big Sur, you will need to install both the ICA driver and a program called the IJ Scan Utility 2.

You can select and download the ICA Driver Ver. 4.1.3a from the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

When the file has finished downloading, please open it. Then, double-click on the icon that looks like a cardboard box. Then, you can follow the pop-up instructions to complete the install.

After you have installed the driver, please select and download the IJ Scan Utility2 Ver. 2.3.8 (dated 10/02/20) from the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

When the file has finished downloading, please open it. Then, double-click on the icon that looks like a cardboard box. Then, you can follow the pop-up instructions to complete the install.

After you install the IJ Scan Utility, please open IJ Scan Utility located in the Applications folder on your computer. You can follow these steps:

1. Click on the Finder icon located on the left side of the dock that is normally at the bottom of your computer screen.
  2. In the main menu bar at the very top of your computer screen, click on the word GO and select APPLICATIONS.
  3. When the Applications folder opens, double-click on the folder titled “Canon Utilities.”

When the Canon Utilities folder, please open the folder containing the IJ Scan Utility and then open the IJ Scan Utility Lite

You can use the IJ Scan Utility Lite program to scan a document. If your MX490 is connected wirelessly, please be sure that you see "MX490 series Network" in the product box.

You’ll find instructions for doing so in the scanning section of the online manual. Here is the link:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/M/MX490%20series/2.0/EN/SU/Top.html 

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to scan from a Mac computer that is running macOS Big Sur Ver. 11.2.3.

From what I see, it appears as you do not have the scanning software installed. Instead, you are trying to open the scanner driver (which is not possible). To scan from a Mac computer that is running Big Sur, you will need to install both the ICA driver and a program called the IJ Scan Utility 2.

You can select and download the ICA Driver Ver. 4.1.3a from the following link:

After you have installed the driver, please select and download the IJ Scan Utility2 Ver. 2.3.8 (dated 10/02/20) from the following website:

After you install the IJ Scan Utility, please open IJ Scan Utility located in the Applications folder on your computer. You can follow these steps:

1. Click on the Finder icon located on the left side of the dock that is normally at the bottom of your computer screen.
  2. In the main menu bar at the very top of your computer screen, click on the word GO and select APPLICATIONS.
  3. When the Applications folder opens, double-click on the folder titled “Canon Utilities.”

When the Canon Utilities folder, please open the folder containing the IJ Scan Utility and then open the IJ Scan Utility Lite

You can use the IJ Scan Utility Lite program to scan a document. If your MX490 is connected wirelessly, please be sure that you see "MX490 series Network" in the product box.

You’ll find instructions for doing so in the scanning section of the online manual. Here is the link:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/M/MX490%20series/2.0/EN/SU/Top.html 

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

It worked, thank you so much. You're a genius. 

Thank you so much Canon for solving this problem that went on for over 3 weeks.

Whoever came up with this solution is an absolute genius!  I'm forever greatful!

I have the same problem. I followed the instructions above. I continue to get the same error message.

sasafrass
Apprentice

I'm having the exact same problem with a new Pixma G620. I get the same screens and error code (-21345) as pictured above. I'm working from a MacBook Pro running Big Sur v.11.6.6. The printer is turned on both when I install the setup and when I try to scan. I've run the setup program several times trying to solve the problem. I've also tried downloading and installing IJ Scan Utility Lite Ver.3.3.1 (Mac) as a stand alone program from the G620 product page on the Canon website with no luck. When I open the program, my printer/scanner isn't listed at the top. There isn't a separate driver available to download. My printer is connected and visible on my network and I have no problem printing, I just can't get my scanner to show up in the Scan Utility Lite program when launched from the IJ Scan Utility folder in my Applications folder. I know I'm doing something wrong and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what it is!

Contributor

Thanks for theses replies. I am having the same problem (see other thread) and Canon claims they no longer support the MG3222 and they won't help! It's awful. This printer and laptop are quite new, and promoting throw-away culture is toxic. I shouldn't need to purchase a new printer just because I had to get a newer laptop.

So, I've now downloaded the updated IJ Scan Utility. No one suggested that to me! The version I used on my old computer apparently doesn't work on this newer machine. So now I can open the IJ Scan Utility 2, but I can't seem to make it detect my scanner. I'm plugged in via USB. I get this error, even though the printer is on and connected via usb, and it prints fine.

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,156,1

Announcements