cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 MG3620 installation fails - "New port could not be created: 0000"

jemmer
Apprentice

I'm trying to install a Canon MG3620 on my Windows 10 network.  I was able to install it via my laptop on my wireless network and that works fine.  I'm trying to do the same on my desktop via a wired connection to the same network (same range of IP addresses).  During the installation process the printer is correctly detected, but during the install WP drivers portion, this fails with the "New port could not be created: 0000" error.  Retrying does no good.  Trying via the administrator account gives the same error. Turning off Defender and the Firewall gives the same error,  Rebooting does no good.

Thing is, once upon a time this worked just fine, but I had to temporarily move the printer to another network in another location where all devices were wireless.  After some fiddling, I got all devices to recognize and use the printer there.  But, when I brought the printer back home, I was only able to get the printer working by using my wireless laptop.  My wred desktop gives the port could not be created error.

Can anyone help?  This is driving me nuts...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK.  I managed to find a solution.  A Google search uncovered a suggestion to try the program CNMNPU.EXE located on the installation disk.  This apparently deletes the ports that the Canon install creates.  The theory is that previous installations leave one or more ports around, and a new installation fails trying to create a port that already exists.  This program deletes the Canon port(s).

I was able to install the Canon software and drivers by first running the CNMNPU.EXE program, then insuring that all Canon printer software, including the MP drivers, is uninstalled, then rebooting, then retrying the installation.

To my delight, the install worked, and all appears well.

YMMV.

This appears to me like a bug in the Canon installation procedure.  It shouldn't fail if a port it is trying to create already exists.  But at least there is a workaround.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Were you able to get the file you need? I have a disk that came with my MG4120. I am not that great with computers, but if you sent me a brief instruction, I could try to send you the file.

I'm having the same problem. I have windows 10 laptop, trying to install drivers for MG3620. Was installed and working fine. When to print something today and it was not printing. I tried everything. In the end, I uninstalled, then reinstalled and at the end of installation I got the prompt saying "New port could not be created:0000" I do have the CD, but my laptop does not have a CD drive. I have only used the website to download drivers. Never had a problem before.
Any input of just a link so I can install would be great.

Thanks,

Karen

Please refer to my solution (Skullrubble) from the previous page. Unfortunately, my printer is different from yours. Can you go somewhere, maybe a library, to see if they have computers with CD drives? Maybe a friend? Even Best Buy may help you; after all, you just need the one file (CNMNPU.EXE) transferred to a flash drive.

Just discovered that the CNMNPU.EXE file you're looking for is inside the driver you're likely downloading from the Canon website.  I found it in the Canon driver file (mp68-win-mx920-1_01-ea32_2.exe) file under the LAN folder.  Just open the .exe file in your preferred Unzip utility and extract the LAN folder to your hard drive.  You should be able to run CNMNPU.exe from there, without the worry that someone sends you something else in a private message that you shouldnt install.

Your fix worked! I've been trying off and on for a year to get my printer to  work remotely from this computer. But I was afraid I would lose the two other computers which use this printer. All is well; all three computers work remotely to my printer. To find the path to CNMNPU, I used the canon start up disk in my 😧 drive. The address I used is D:win\driver\LAN\cnmnpu. 

So happy, thank you,

Doug

This solution worked for me as well. I ran the cnmnpu.exe file the reran the MP driver software for the MG5500 series printer. Printer working great now. No more problems.

marihoc17
Apprentice

I'm trying to re-install a Canon MG3620 on my Windows 10 network and I keep getting the same message.  I can't do what others have done because I don't have anywhere to play the CD.  I went through the same thing when I first installed it and got a work around but I dondf't rmember what it was.  System will not allow me to delete ports either  with or without the print spooler running.  I have removed the installation download and reinstalled - always same thing.  Help!

Read the post above your own (by jzrubbish) for a possible solution. Alternately, you could buy a cheap external CD/DVD drive.

ngodlove2011
Apprentice

Hi Jemmer,

I have the mg3620 as well and it used to work but after moving to a new house, I can't get it to work. I uninstalled the drivers with the hopes of reinstalling from scratch but now run into the same error new port could not be created. I don't have a cd-rom on my laptop and don't have the installation cd either. Can you send me a copy of the CNMNPU.exe file? I downloaded the full driver from canon website and unzipped the file but can't find it inside. Can someone point me to it's location or send me a copy of the CNMNPU.exe file?

thanks.

I'm not sure how to send a file in this forum and then I'm not I have the latest version.  But, you can google the file CNMNPU.EXE.  One hit I found suggested going to the Canon site-> Support and enter your printer model, then select Driver downloads.  Get the full package and download it.  The file that gets downloaded is a .exe file.  Rename it to .Zip and then open it.  you will find the CNMNPU.exe in one of the directories in there (/LAN ?).  You can then extract it and put it somewhere to use.

Good luck.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements