cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 MG3620 installation fails - "New port could not be created: 0000"

jemmer
Apprentice

I'm trying to install a Canon MG3620 on my Windows 10 network.  I was able to install it via my laptop on my wireless network and that works fine.  I'm trying to do the same on my desktop via a wired connection to the same network (same range of IP addresses).  During the installation process the printer is correctly detected, but during the install WP drivers portion, this fails with the "New port could not be created: 0000" error.  Retrying does no good.  Trying via the administrator account gives the same error. Turning off Defender and the Firewall gives the same error,  Rebooting does no good.

Thing is, once upon a time this worked just fine, but I had to temporarily move the printer to another network in another location where all devices were wireless.  After some fiddling, I got all devices to recognize and use the printer there.  But, when I brought the printer back home, I was only able to get the printer working by using my wireless laptop.  My wred desktop gives the port could not be created error.

Can anyone help?  This is driving me nuts...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK.  I managed to find a solution.  A Google search uncovered a suggestion to try the program CNMNPU.EXE located on the installation disk.  This apparently deletes the ports that the Canon install creates.  The theory is that previous installations leave one or more ports around, and a new installation fails trying to create a port that already exists.  This program deletes the Canon port(s).

I was able to install the Canon software and drivers by first running the CNMNPU.EXE program, then insuring that all Canon printer software, including the MP drivers, is uninstalled, then rebooting, then retrying the installation.

To my delight, the install worked, and all appears well.

YMMV.

This appears to me like a bug in the Canon installation procedure.  It shouldn't fail if a port it is trying to create already exists.  But at least there is a workaround.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

John_B
Rising Star

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

All computers involved in this are running Windows 10.

I thought my original post described the situation pretty well.  If anyione has any additional questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

OK.  I managed to find a solution.  A Google search uncovered a suggestion to try the program CNMNPU.EXE located on the installation disk.  This apparently deletes the ports that the Canon install creates.  The theory is that previous installations leave one or more ports around, and a new installation fails trying to create a port that already exists.  This program deletes the Canon port(s).

I was able to install the Canon software and drivers by first running the CNMNPU.EXE program, then insuring that all Canon printer software, including the MP drivers, is uninstalled, then rebooting, then retrying the installation.

To my delight, the install worked, and all appears well.

YMMV.

This appears to me like a bug in the Canon installation procedure.  It shouldn't fail if a port it is trying to create already exists.  But at least there is a workaround.

Thanks for your posting, Jemmer; I had the same issue with my model no. Mx340. Here's what I did:

1. I found the "CNMNPU.EXE" file on my installation disk (<Your drive letter>:/win/Driver/LAN folder), and I right-clicked on it and chose "run as administrator." When it completed, I restarted my computer.

2. I reran the "mp68-win-mx340-1_06-ea24.exe" file─also as administrator. (This is the MP Navigator driver installation file for my printer from Canon's website.)

That's it─no need to uninstall the software beforehand.

I did a lot of searching before finding your posting. I really appreciate it when people return to forums and post the solution they've discovered for their computer issues. Thanks again.

Greg

I am having the same problem on an older Pixma 6120  My installation disk does not contain a file by the name suggested here.  Am I doing something wrong?  Your help is appreciated.

Please see my post dated 01-24-2019 for a solution to your issue.

Thank you so much for this! I copied the whole LAN folder from my disk onto a thumb drive (since my new laptop doesn't have a CD drive) and ran the CNMNPU file from it. Totally worked.

THANK YOU!!!!  It has been over six months trying to figure this out!!!  I really appreciate the information!!!  Really!!!

I don't have the original disk can someone email me the CNMNPU file ?

Announcements