cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 can't access Win 8.1 printer

john_o
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MG6650 wireless printer, originally installed several years ago on a Windows 7 laptop which was subsequently upgraded to Windows 8.10. The laptop is past its best now, though it still prints documents without too much trouble. I now also have a new Windows 10 tablet which can print to the MG6650 if the laptop is powered up but which fails ’The printer is offline‘ if it isn't. What do I need to do to fix this please, bearing in mind that I am not at all sure I still have the original printer installation disk? 

3 REPLIES 3

Porcha
Rising Star

Hi john_o,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If your printer has wireless capability, then connect it to your wireless network.  This will allow any device connected to the same network to find and print to it. 

Based on your description, "I can only print if the laptop is turned on" indicates the printer is not connected to your wireless network and is somehow connected and shared from the laptop.  When its off, the printer is not present and cannot be used, and when turned on is accessible.

We can't see your network configuration and do not know how you installed the printer in your environment, but the fact that printing is dependand on the laptop being powered on, indicated (initially anyway) that the printer is not connected to your network and is instead connected to a device.  

You do not need the original installation media.  Everything is here

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

john_o
Apprentice
Thanks. I have managed to print a document from the tablet with the laptop powered off. I need to buzz off and find the UK forums now. Cheers.
Announcements