cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my ink run out so quickly?

AndymAndym
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MP620.  I bought all new cartriges for it a couple of months ago, have printed only B&W word documents, and far fewer than 100 documents, yet my black is empty, and the magenta and cyan are dangerously low.  The yellow is at half.  I figure I've paid almost $1.00 per B&W page.

WTF?

61 REPLIES 61

I've had the same problem. 10 glossy colour prints and my cartridges are running low. Cost about $4 an A4 print.

VERY frustrating... did you find a solution or just bought another printer?

Nothing new from Canon.  It's clearly a business imperative to sell cartridges, even at the expense of repeat customers dumping them and buying a different brand.  I still have some cartridges but will buy a new printer when they are gone.  (Probably soon!)  I've changed my thoughts on this after seeing the bad reviews for Epson paper handling (which reinforced a bad experience I had with an Epson printer 20 years ago), so I'm thinking of a Brother printer now.  

I guess with Canon's camera business on the decline due to the ever improving cameras in smartphones, they are desperate for cash.   I'm a Nikon person in regards to SLR's but have a Canon camcorder; rarely use it nowadays.  They seem to be following the Kodak business model straight into the camera/copier/printer graveyard.

smodking
Apprentice

In the community, there are MANY complaints about excessive ink usage. I share this concern with the community. The answer was for users to turn off their printer when periods of long nonuse occur. This rather negates printing from the cloud when offsite and isn't a solution, but a workaround an issue that Cannon should address with a firmware update.

The correct response would be to have the developers/engineers release a firmware update to stop the "purge" of ink for the sole purpose to keep the nozzles from clogging. Will they not clog powered off?

My mother passed away Aug 2019 and she owned a Cannon MG5520. I placed the printer in the trunk of her car and then stored the car for nearly a year. The temperature went below zero and above 90 as the car sat outside. The printer remained in the trunk during this time.

Upon retrieving the car and the printer, I turned on the printer expecting bad ink, clogged nozzles, or possibly a DOA machine. The printer fired up and printed perfectly and a nozzle check confirmed this as well.

Given the adverse conditions the hardware and the ink experienced, I'd say the "purge" to keep nozzles clear is a bunch of crap. Additionally, as a Cannon Support Rep pointed out, turning off the printer conserves ink, then that too indicates a purge is unnecessary when the printer is on standby.

So, how about a firmware update addressing the ink purge and becoming a member of a conscience society of not wasting nor excessively charging customers for supplies.

missionprint
Contributor

The answer to everyone in this threads question: Canon doesn't give a **bleep** about you and only wants to make a profit off of ink and printers.

Why does your printer say your full/new cartridges are only 50% full?  Because canon wants you to buy more!

Why does the printer say the ink is out but it isn't? Canon wants to deceive you into buying more ink before you need to!

Why does your printer suck up ink even when you don't use it and even though you bought the toner machine they told would reduce this? Becuase they want to trick you and force you to buy more ink so they upsold you into a product that costs more so that you are now pot-committed to the continued purchase of their **bleep** products!

The answer is... they don't give a **bleep** and just want to push ink sales up.  This is guaranteed the #1 key performance indicator for canon.

Roamin
Contributor
The only solution available to us is don't buy CANON ink cartridges. There are 3rd party cartridges available at a third of the Canon price, with chip and just as good.
I NEVER buy Canon rip-off cartridges any more

Jasonusesink
Apprentice

I as well loose ink so quickly. Bought all new ink cartridges a week ago, nearly 100.00 and 4:are showing low even though I've printed mostly black documents with very little color at all. This can not be right. WTF so frustrated

Stan5409
Apprentice

I'm stunned and made a huge error by buying a new printer before investigating the cost per year for the cartridges. By the time I set it up since it required me to repeat various testing and cleaning on the unit several times, I could see the color cartridge was close to half-empty and the black went down nearly 25%. 

onionhead0708
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my TS7451 printer.

Bought it 9 months ago and printed < 100 pages, i only turn on it when i needed to print or scan, which only several times a month, and i turn it off after i finished.

Today when i try to print a black and white copy of document, it printed the document with some broken lines or very light black color which means that it run out of the ink.

I then use another HP printer (OfficeJet Pro 8020) which i put it aside and not touching it for 9 months, although this printer also claiming that the ink is going to run out, but at least it printed out with some solid black lines.

I am so disappointed for Canon that the ink are running out based on time but not the usage.

Stan5409
Apprentice

The only thing I can suggest is to go into Printer "Properties" then "preferences" then under "print quality" set it to the Draft setting. It uses less ink. Your still not going to be happy though but it helps some

Announcements