cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my ink run out so quickly?

AndymAndym
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MP620.  I bought all new cartriges for it a couple of months ago, have printed only B&W word documents, and far fewer than 100 documents, yet my black is empty, and the magenta and cyan are dangerously low.  The yellow is at half.  I figure I've paid almost $1.00 per B&W page.

WTF?

61 REPLIES 61

I do ALL the things that you have suggested, and it is to no avail.  I use plain paper, I print in grayscale, and I choose fast printing, ALWAYS.  So I definitely do not understand why the color ink becomes depleted so quickly.  I don't think that you have given anyone a sufficient answer to this issue, and there are many people who will no longer buy your printers, and they are advising their friends to avoid purchasing Canon printers.  Don't you think you should address this concern, and do something about your equipment.  Honestly, it is incredibly frustrating.  And as you well know, your ink cartridges are expensive.

janice sanz

tmcraig92
Apprentice

Do not buy Canon printers. I've never had a printer this horrible in my life and I've used about 10 printers long term. I've had countless of unexpaniable problems besides this ink issue and they can't explain any of them.

I JUST got this printer like not even half a year ago. I've only been printing black ink shipping lablels and ALL of my color is gone. I only printed with color 1 time when I first got it, to test it out, and it was only a quarter of a page print. My printer also isnt in any sunlight, any abnormal heat, and I havent removed the cartridges since original install. Every day when I went to print a black label I coudl see my color levels dropping on a daily basis. 

Besides that, I can print hundreds and hundreds of full pages of black on other brand printers and cartridges yet these cartridges only got me maybe 100. They are 100% scamming everybody and thats enough proof for me. I called them regarding my other issues and they just scratched their head because they coulnd't resolve or make any sense of this brand new printer, leaving me stuck with a broken new printer. Stick with HP or Brother. I've never had a bad printer by them yet and that's real talk because I'm not a fan of fraudulent products. Also, older printers are better than newer for work purposes and reliability. Everything is so cheap and bad quality now days, I don't understand. I'll be getting the sludge hammer out for this printer and replacing with an older used HP printer. Even if I had to refurbish it myself its better than the turnmoil canon will put you through with their printing products.

I agree! I've purchased ink twice in the past 4 months and do very little printing.  Yes, Canon, I have printed in grayscale, the printer is not in direct sunlight or near a heat source, I'm printing in standard mode etc. etc.  I have noticed there has not been anyone from Canon on here trying to make this right.  Your company should have to replace these cartridges for free.  After looking at the dates of these complaints, it's clear that you don't care about your customer base because the cartridges have certainly not come down in price! Over $60 for 2 cartridges! I'm going to follow suit and junk my Canon printer.  It's a shame really. Canon used to produce some great products but now only seem to want to overcharge their customers.  I guess it's back to hp for me as well.  

I am not buying any of this. I literally bought black ink a few weeks ago and have printed about 10 pages and my Canon IX6800 is low on black ink.

not to mention I ONLY PRINT BLACK docs and the colors run low and need replacement all the time.

When I buy ink the cartidge is obviously not full and runs out with an extremely low volume work load (1 to 2 docs a week).

we are all not crazy, either these cartridges, when new, have barely anything in them or these printers dump ink. its not on my paper!

CANON should stop these horrible business practices and GIVE US THE INK WE PAY FOR and patch your printers if they are dumping ink.

its not normal

Karin
Apprentice
1. I have done all of the things Canon has recommended: plain paper, fast mode,gray scale, only single sided, printer is kept out of sunlight and away from heat. I replaced black ink and all three colors at the same time a few months ago. I have used the printer 10 times since then, for printing about a total of 10 pages in gray scale on plain paper in fast mode, single sided. Now the printer will not print because the magenta and cyan need to be replaced!
2. Now I only needed to scan one page (no ink needed!) and still the printer said it could not scan unless I replaced the ink. How ridiculous!
Canon - if you are an honest company please answer the Canon community users above and also explain why I am having the same problems. Thank you.

jadams77
Apprentice

Had same problem   Bought Canon to replace a worn-out HP.   Hooked it up without to many problems.  Printed less than 50 pages and black ink already out

gharris
Apprentice

Canon Pixma TS8020 here; first off, great printing from this thing.  However...

I found this thread by googling "canon printer runs out of ink ripoff", because I am spending 40+ dollars replacing color cartigages and then printing minimally color pages, and then for several weeks no color prints at all, and still the tanks are running out..  Mystery...

I turn the printer off when done each time, using the power button.  I use settings to decrease satuation as well (i like to stretch ink), and I use draft, plain paper, all the tricks..  Still, I get messages that my ink is super low and needs replacing..  This has got to be either 1) a really poor printer, or 2) a clever ploy to force people to pay for ink they don't need to be replacing.  Regardless, I have decided to never purchace a canon product in my life.  I've tried scientifically to monitor and regulate ink usage, and there is no other reason besides the printer just dumps lots of ink or is programmed to lie to the user that there is no more ink.  I'm baffled and quite peeved.

NotHappy88
Apprentice

I have a Canon MG6320. Recently I purchased brand new, Canon brand, unopened, 251 C, M, Y and Grey Inks. I installed all four into my printer and print exactly one, singe paged, black and white receipt. All four brand new inks, dropped from 4 bars of capacity, to three. Bewildered, I printed one more, single paged, black and white receipt, and again, all four brand new inks, dropped from three bars of capacity, to half full at two bars. I turned my printer off, and unplugged it and spent a week researching the issue. I have not found any explanations or solutions. I plugged in and turned my printer back on today to see if my inks were still at half capacity, and the four in question are now at one bar. 

Again, these were brand new, Canon brand, unopened inks. Used to print two single paged black and white documents. The printer has been off and unplugged since. Yet the inks have gone down in capacity every print, and even when turned off and unpugged. I am furious. That's literally $50 completely wasted. 

I've had my MX870 for over 10 years.  It's weird in that I don't recall the cartridges draining when I first bought it.  It seems to have been a relatively recent problem.  Canon's support has only posted templated responses and don't address the issue.  I bought a bunch of 3rd party cartridges recently (work great and cost a fraction of the Canon products) and when they're done, well I'm done with Canon, too.  I'll probably buy one of the Epson refillable tank printers like this one (link removed as per forum guidelines).  I like the document feeder with the MX870 and occasionally do duplex printing so will miss those options.  But really, it's all about the printing costs; I'd rather pay upfront for the printer and avoid the hassle of constantly buying Canon cartridges.

So, unless Canon support comes up with a true fix to stop the constant nozzle cleaning, I'm out.

Dan

servant38
Apprentice

Here the same issue. I bought the canon Pixma 8750 printer about a year ago and i sell my artworks to customers so i thought this printer would be the best if you look at the printer price and quality. But the cartridges.... pfff. I just did the calculation and it appears i can only print about 30 color prints with full cartridges so it's about 2 euro/photo print which is insane... I'm just throwing away my money by buying cartridges all the time. I already tried all solutions, hang on the phone with canon but they always come with the same solutions: keep out of the sunlight, don't plug out, try cleaning the nozzles, use the right settings, ... but i just use the Canon Print app with default photo settings. I'm tired of searching for solutions and throwing away my money like this so i'm gonna look for an alternative.

Announcements