cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my ink run out so quickly?

AndymAndym
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MP620.  I bought all new cartriges for it a couple of months ago, have printed only B&W word documents, and far fewer than 100 documents, yet my black is empty, and the magenta and cyan are dangerously low.  The yellow is at half.  I figure I've paid almost $1.00 per B&W page.

WTF?

61 REPLIES 61

I have the cannon 2900 printer, which is never turned on unless I am printing.  It is not near a heat source or in direct sunlight.

For the price of these cartridges I am very unhappy this they only last for 3 or printing, I if I do print normally it is only a page or two.

This is useless if I am running out of ink so quickly.  I will be shopping for a new printer

I have the cannon 2900 printer, which is never turned on unless I am printing.  It is not near a heat source or in direct sunlight.

For the price of these cartridges I am very unhappy this they only last for 3 or printing, I if I do print normally it is only a page or two.

This is useless if I am running out of ink so quickly.  I will be shopping for a new printer

I CAN SEE THAT CANNON DOESN'T CARE?????????????????????????

A Lot of people have  posted about this RUNNING OUT OF INK??????? And Cannon can't even give us a reason why.   

************************************WARNING*******DON'T BUY A CANNON******************************** They suck........

Mine is NOW in the GARBAGE.....

I sense a scam in this industry

Y'all sold me on a toner cartridge machine to prevent this bull**bleep** maintenance soooooo where is the lie?

I started printing some of my Christmas Cards tonight.

I bought refills of all my colors.

When I put them in they registered about 50%.

I bought them at Walmart tonight.

After printing about an hour.  I am already out of color ink.

This has bever happened to me before with this printer.

I usually get much more copied then this.  I use my machine a lot.

Help.

Steve ski

I purchased a Canon MG6620 and I'm sorry I did.  This printer runs out of ink so quickly and the ink levels go down even when I'm not using it.  I print very few doucuments and I already purchased 2 sets of inks ( now going on my third ).  This is very frustrating and costly.  Soon I will have already paid more for the ink than I did the printer!!!!  First and last I'll buy any Cannon printers.

My printer seems to  do a printhead cleaning before every print job.  i never print color but the cartridges are the first to go.  Two questions:

1)  Is there a way to inhibit the incessant print head nozzle cleaning function.  Not only is it wasteful, it slows everything down.

2)  Where does all this ink go.  I swear there must be a reservoir of wasted ink in the printer somewhere that must amount to 5-8 ounces of ink!

So, far Canon's standard answers are really not acceptable.  Once the current batch of ink runs out, I'm buying the new printers that have the big refillable bottles of ink.  

Rather poos customer service for a consumer products company.

Hi thedbarz,

The ink cartridges are not on timers, but the printer is. It's programmed to perform periodic cleanings or "purges" to prevent clogs from forming in the nozzles. Without these "purges" the clogs that could form in the nozzles could permanently damage the print heads leading to even costier repairs. These purges do use a small amount of ink, and enough of them will eventually empty the cartridge. 

To prevent this, turn the printer off during long periods of disuse (more than a week or two.)  A purge will only be performed when the printer is powered on.

Also, only turn the printer off using the power button.  If you turn the printer by disconnecting the power, either from a wall switch or power strip, a purge will occur every time you turn it on.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I'm here because my Canon Pixma MX922 guzzles ink by running through a cleaning cycle EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to print something, even if those prints are a couple minutes apart. 
The Canon Reps here, going on about clogged nozzles and programmed purges, are utterly unhelpful.

Yeah, if the printer sits for a while unused, it should probably run a cleaning cycle, BUT, that should be up to the user, not an automated, every-single-time-you-print "feature" that can not be turned off. It's ar cheaper to print a test page, and, if cleaning is needed, run a cycle. If not, you've used a whole lot less ink printing a test page than running an unneeded cleaning cycle.

"It has to do that, or the nozzles wil clog." Nonsense. Not buying it. 

As others have pointed out, this i simply a money grab from Canon. Ink cartridges are FAR too expensive, and FAR too half-full to be anything other than a cash grab. Ever notice that the "High Yield" cartridges are the same size as the standard yield (mostly empty) cartridges? They have to be, or they wouldn't fit the machine. SO, Canon, (and Epson, and HP, and everyone else) -- here's a thought..... FILL THE FREAKING CARTRIDGES, all the way, and sell them for the price of a "standard" cartridge. Your profit margins will still be 5,000%. And, update your printer firmware to stop the INTENTIONAL waste of ink.

A someone else pointed out, maybe it's time to start being part of the solution, instead of part of the problem.

Announcements