cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there two black ink cartridges in PIXMA MX922 ?

williampeck1958
Enthusiast

Pixma MX922 has two black cartridges, one's big and the other is the size of the color cartridges ? When one gets low, then I have to replace it, it doesn't "switch" to use the other one which has plenty of ink. Why is that ?

What's the point of having two black cartridges ?

26 REPLIES 26

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
yes, please, everyone spend $68 on an HP.... And you will never be sorry. You wish you done it sooner

Unfortunately the explanation given is not working for me.  I frequently run out of the black ink in the smaller cartridge even though i have never yet printed a photo.  Everything I print is straight black text and despite that it uses the smaller cartridge.  When that runs out, I tried the suggestion to highlight the document and select black text and even tried printing a single page at a time.  Still get the out of ink warning and unable to print.  It is not clear to me why it is selecting the smaller cartridge despite having a full larger cartridge ready to go.  I believe this is a software problem.  I tried removing the smaller cartridge.  That should logically cause the printer to select the large cartridge for any black printing.  Do you have any other suggestion?  I don't believe that it should ever be selecting the smaller cartridge based on the type of printing I am doing.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi aberk66,

Since the ink for photos keeps running low without printing photos, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)/

We look forward to hearing from you.

Then the large tank is pretty much useless, almost everything now is a PDF and you cannot make changes, what a waste. So I am forced to purchase a large and small tank only to use the small ones which run out quickly. Whomever developed this design needs a kick in the pants.

there does not seem to be an option to turn duplex printing off under the printing manager, why?

Hi hallperks164,

What version of Windows are you using?   If you are using a Mac, what version of OSX is installed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I only use regular paper and almost always select black print , but it still only uses the little black tank and not the big one. It is not dried up or plugged up.

I always use white paper and select black when I print, but it never uses the big tank. It is not dry nor plugged u.

fleeneak
Apprentice

Not at all happy with the software changes made for the black ink cartridges. When I first got this printer there was NO problem with this. I love this printer and even got one for my Dad because he was always having problems with his printer and inks.  Right after he got his you guys changed the software and now he has a problem again.  He's old, he doesn't need to have to deal with this petty issue.  I don't want to deal with this.  I got the printer because it was easy and low maintenance and the ink didn't run out quickly....  why change what is not broke.  His theory is that companies do stuff like this because it makes them more money..... I'm inclined to agree!  Does Canon have a color printer that does NOT have to have SPECIAL ink to print things from the internet.... why would you need special ink to print from the internet and other ink to print documents. Why would you have to go to the trouble of highlighting text and changing it to all black or all some other color so that the printer will work? So rediculous. Oh I know, buy TWO printers, or just keep paying crazy high prices.....

Why can't the printer be smarter...if you select print grayscale or print black and white, why can't the printer just use the black ink, period.... only makes sense if the theory of "picky ink means more money" is true. 

I wouldn't call me 'dissatisfied' I would say more 'EXTREMELY Disappointed in CANON'

I have a MX922 and love it. It's the best printer I ever had. I purchase my ink tanks from 123 Inkjets, where the savings are phenomenal. I have never had an ink clog or smear. Plus their tanks hold more ink, a double savings.

Announcements