cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Media Type to choose for printing Labels

hasanders
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I have an MX880 series. There is no option to select "label" under the media type. Is it just "plain paper" or do I select something different? Many thanks for the input!

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi hasanders,

You are correct, there isn't a setting in the printer driver for labels.  Canon does not make label paper and only Canon papers are listed in this drop down box.  The manufacturer of the paper should be able to provide you with their recommended printer settings to print on their paper.  For example, Avery provides settings and templates for all of their label papers.  If you are using Avery paper, please use the following link:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-Design--Print-Online.htm

If you are not using Avery, please check with the manufacturer of the paper you are using for their recommended settings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was unable to see the answer to the question hasander asked on the Avery webpage link you included. When I contacted Avery's chat support and asked what media type I should use on my Canon ink jet printer to print 8161 Avery labels, I was told 'Ask Canon what it recommends for cardstock'. Do you have such a recommendation? Thanks.

Change your paper settings to matte photo paper. I was trying to print labels using the Avery Templates and kept getting error messages from my Canon MX470 about paper size and alignment. It then occured to me that the label paper was probably the thickness of photo paper. Why doesn't Canon offer an option for label paper or cardstock?

I don't understand how the Canon Expert was unable to answer this question and directed you to the Avery website.

Hope this helps.

Lorraine  

I had problems with this too, with my MG 2920, but then I just printed using Chrome (instead of Firefox or Adobe), and this worked more or less. When you print a pdf in Chrome, you don't really have any of the printer options (you just need to unselect fit to page)

peter_ryan
Apprentice

I was having this same problem with the MG5520.  No matter what I changed media type from Word software or on printer LCD screen: letter, photo, matte, labels, crocodile leather, etc, it will not print labels and kept saying it wasn't "Letter" on the printer LCD screen.  I went into Setup>Device Settings>Print Settings on the printer LCD screen and disabled "Detect Paper Width" and BAM, it works.   Hope this helps someone down the road. 

Announcements