cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Complain or Warn Others?

sandpaper
Apprentice

When I updated the printer software on my Windows 10 computer for the Canon TS9100, because I moved the printer, it closed all my saved tabs in Notepad++ and all the documents I had open in Open Office.

I don't know what Canon was thinking, giving printer software the power to remove all the documents inside non-Windows proprietary programs?

I depend upon my tabs and documents to finish work before I let it loose 'in the wild'.  It will cost me endless hours of work, to find whatever I need to reference, what I was working on, or need to print again after some time.

Is there a better place to complain or issue a warning to others, about this dangerous, destructive software?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We aren't going to try and speculate.  Canon software does not make programatic changes to installed applications, nor do printer drivers delete tabs or documents.  Whatever happened wasn't because of printer software you installed on your computer.  While you might believe the two are related, they are not.  

You can use System Restore to revert your OS to a point in time prior to whatever occurred to your system.  A restore point would have been created automatically before a software application was installed, etc.

Here is an example.  I upgraded my DxO Software on 11/12.  Windows automatically created a restore point.

RP.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports,

Thank you for your effort to help me. 

You said:

1.  "Greetings,

We aren't going to try and speculate. Canon software does not make programatic changes to installed applications, nor do printer drivers delete tabs or documents. Whatever happened wasn't because of printer software you installed on your computer. While you might believe the two are related, they are not."

You come to me telling me that Canon software does not do what it clearly did.  Even Windows Updates do not close individual pages or tabs inside programs.  Nothing else could have done it.  I wasn't and hadn't run anything else.

2.  "You can use System Restore to revert your OS to a point in time prior to whatever occurred to your system. A restore point would have been created automatically before a software application was installed, etc."

System Restore in Windows does not interfere with programs, and it cannot replace files and tabs.  At the moment I wish it did, but it does not. 

I'm content to be able to print, and thus do not (at this time) want to remove the Canon printer software.  I hope that 'Add and Remove Programs'  will do that, when needed.

I'm knowledgable and I do support for the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Thank you for your time.

sandpaper

Announcements