cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with non-functioning printer?

mwhiteaz
Contributor

I bought a PIXMA MG5620 almost exactly two years ago.  It worked fine, until it didn't all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago.  Printer Support staff could not really diagnose the problem from error code B203, gave me some BS busywork to try and fix it, and when that didn't work, said it couldn't be repaired. 

Now I've received a new printer--at a discount from their loyalty program.  What to do with the old printer?  Can it really not be fixed?  We have a good electronics recycling program here, but really...a two year old printer can only be recycled?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately, in today's manufacturing world, the answer is yes. Production lines can be created so that relatively unskilled personnel can assemble piece-parts.

Diagnosis and repair require skilled personnel.

You can buy new printers for basically the cost of the ink cartridges included in the box.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately, in today's manufacturing world, the answer is yes. Production lines can be created so that relatively unskilled personnel can assemble piece-parts.

Diagnosis and repair require skilled personnel.

You can buy new printers for basically the cost of the ink cartridges included in the box.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

*sigh* That's basically the response I got from Tech Support.. I was shopping for a better answer. At least we have a good electronics recycling program here. Thanks.
Announcements