Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Updated for Catalina and now not printing

I ran into this same problem, 'Filter failed', yesterday.  Came out of nowhere...printer was working on Catalina too.

I wish I could tell you how I fixed this, but I spent so much time on it, and tried so many different things, I just don't know what I did that actually fixed it. But did the following, not sure of the ordering: I removed the 'Canon' directory, maybe from under /Library?  I reset the printer system from the system preferences dialog; I rebooted.  When I added the printer, the system preferences installed the driver - said  something like "files missing, downloading them now".  So I wonder if having the system preferences install the driver did the trick - rather than downloading and installing the driver (v16.20.00) from Canon which I did but, but did not seem to work.  However, to get the scaner to work, I installed the scanner driver from the canon website...but after I got the device to print first.  Not sure this helps...Canon - what a mess.