cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated for Catalina and now not printing

MarySanAntonio5
Contributor

I updated my Canon Pixma MG6320 in anticipation of ios Catalina and now I get this error message every time I try to print:

Stopped -  'filter' failed.

I've tried turningk my printer off, then back on and nothing changes.

Any thoughts?

21 REPLIES 21

Please click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of your display and then click on About This Mac.

What version of OS X is installed on your Mac?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the same exact issue. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 4.50.02 PM.png

I ran into this same problem, 'Filter failed', yesterday.  Came out of nowhere...printer was working on Catalina too.

I wish I could tell you how I fixed this, but I spent so much time on it, and tried so many different things, I just don't know what I did that actually fixed it. But did the following, not sure of the ordering: I removed the 'Canon' directory, maybe from under /Library?  I reset the printer system from the system preferences dialog; I rebooted.  When I added the printer, the system preferences installed the driver - said  something like "files missing, downloading them now".  So I wonder if having the system preferences install the driver did the trick - rather than downloading and installing the driver (v16.20.00) from Canon which I did but, but did not seem to work.  However, to get the scaner to work, I installed the scanner driver from the canon website...but after I got the device to print first.  Not sure this helps...Canon - what a mess.

Thanks Olshef for the lead. I deleted the Canon directory from the library, then re-added the printer to system preferences, letting the system install the driver, and it works!

Actually my question changed long ago from the drivers to the message failed filter.  I was no longer asking about the Catalina drivers.  So stop denigrating me saying I'm asking the same question in different ways about the Catalina drivers.

MarySanAntonio5
Contributor

Hi MarySanAntonio5,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@MarySanAntonio5 wrote:

??

10.4 is Tiger - We hope that is not the OS you are running

Mojave is 10.14

Catalina is 10.15

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am having the same problem after Catalina. Except it started with the scanner. I think the printer may have been working. I tried to scan, and got the message "you cant use this while it is in use by another application" or something like that. So I followed the advice on one of these forums to reset the printer, and nothing changed EXCEPT, now I noticed I cant print either. 

This is really frustrating to shell out a lot of money for a Canon printer (D1550) that ultimately printed way worse quality than my Canon Image Class printer from 2009 and is still having the same ridiculous driver/software/OS incompatibility issues. We buy a printer so we can use it. If there are long periods when we cannot use it, that is not just an inconvenience. That is a product that does not work.

Currently on hold with Canon Support... Expectations low.

I updated to Catalina and my MG6320 still works but I had a problem. First, I have it ethernet connected, not over WiFi. I am running the CUPS driver v16.20.0.0 from the canon website.  The problem I ran into was that the printer dialog box no longer contained the printer speciifc options, like grayscale, which I use quite a bit.  I tried all the typical stuff, like reseting the printer system, removing & adding the printer, etc.  and nothing fixed it.  But I used lpadmin to set the options and that worked.  So my MG6320 works on Catalina, I am running their latest driver, and I use lpadmin to configure it's default options.

Announcements