cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update MX922 Firmware

spasmonaut
Contributor

I'm attempting to update the firmware on my MX922 from 3.011 to 3.041 and the unit will cycle through the few stages to the point that it displays "Downloading" and then a brief moment later appears to reboot and yields an error of "Failed to update. See the manual."

Hoping Canon can shed some light on why that's been happening since I happened to check for and found that update available but have been unable to download it.  Naturally the networking piece is working just fine given that it's online, finds the update is available, and I can print across my LAN without issue.

18 REPLIES 18

I tried the support page and it doesn't seem to be an option.  No way to email a question or problem.  Went round and round - very bad design.

So what can we do to use the firmware?   I've tried a lot of mucking with my network to no avail.   I've got about 20-25 devices on my home network that all work fine.  BUt neither Canon printer will update its firmware.

(grumble)

It appeared to work the other day (finally).  Was able to update PIXMA 922 and IP8700.   One gotcha - the IP8700 sets a password (there was none before!).  Had to set it to defaults, plug it in with USB and use a utility to set the password to something known.   But, at least all the firmware is now updated.  Hurrah.

Hi spasmonaut,

I know that this thread is a few weeks old.  I have performed the update on the PIXMA MX922 here successfully today.  Please try updating again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

barney2
Apprentice

What is the current firmware version. I show mine at 2.081. What is the advantage of updating it?

Looks like Canon does not fully suport this model anymore and would hate to mess up what I have now.  

It appears to be 3.041 as that's what my printer is finding and trying to install. I say give it a try. Either it will download, or in the case of my device, it won't, so don't think you have much to lose.

Oh and as far as changes, improvements, etc. goes, I can't imagine there'd be any consequence to installing it. This isn't like motherboard BIOS which means a backbone component to your computer that interacts with all sorts of variety of make and model components like video cards, network cards, sound cards, etc. that would be impossible to test all possible scenarios and combinations. In this case it's the sole piece of equipment and just updating the code for it. Canon doesn't appear to supply any documentation online about change logs with the firmware revisions and they charge for a single phone call so that's out for me. The cost of that call is about 20% of what this printer cost me at time of purchase.

MichaelG1
Apprentice

Firmware on this Canon MX922 is failing to update, the printer is not seen by the iPad or other devices trying to be used. What is the work around?

spasmonaut
Contributor
Thank you for the response Patrick. It's downloading as I type this.

Don't take this as sounding ungrateful, because I genuinely appreciate follow through and product support after the sale, but I can't imagine it was a coincidence that all of the similar posts were user issues. To whomever identified/reported and fixed the issue with the access to firmware for our printers from within Canon, thank you, and thank you Patrick for reviving this. I honestly had given up.

It finished updating and I'm all set.

seawship
Apprentice

Trying today to update my MX922 firmware.  Current firmware version is 3.020.  My printer is connected wirelessly to my home network and I am able to print wirelessly from my iMac, my iphone, and my wife's iPad.  The blue wifi light on the front of the printer is 'on.'  When I attempt "Device Setting=>Firmware Update=>Install Update," the printer shows Error Cannot Connect to the Internet. Check the settings of the access point, etc."  Is there a specific access point setting required to enable the firmware update??  Thanks.

Announcements