cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update MX922 Firmware

spasmonaut
Contributor

I'm attempting to update the firmware on my MX922 from 3.011 to 3.041 and the unit will cycle through the few stages to the point that it displays "Downloading" and then a brief moment later appears to reboot and yields an error of "Failed to update. See the manual."

Hoping Canon can shed some light on why that's been happening since I happened to check for and found that update available but have been unable to download it.  Naturally the networking piece is working just fine given that it's online, finds the update is available, and I can print across my LAN without issue.

18 REPLIES 18

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not seeing any FW updates listed for the MX922.  This doesn't mean there isn't one avaialble, but its not obvious.

Support | MX Series - Inkjet | PIXMA MX920/MX922 | Canon USA

Where are you seeing the prompt to update?  What OS are you using the printer with?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It's not listed on the web site.  Evidently the firmware must be downloaded by the printer itself or that's the assumption anyway.  If there was a way to sideload it using USB or something that'd be very simple and eliminate whatever this issue seems to be, in my opinion.  The printer itself goes out and finds the firmware; see below:

IMG_20201124_172603.jpg

IMG_20201124_172546.jpg

IMG_20201124_172638.jpg

IMG_20201124_172655.jpg

Reference to another thread that shows this firmware appears to have been out for a while too; I just never checked until recently:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Pixma-922-Looking-for-latest-firmwa...

I'm also having this issue....both with a PIXMA 922 and IP8700....both getting the same "fail to update" "see manual">

Any suggestions?

Doing the update from the menu options on the PIXMA 922 and from the web interface on the IP8700.

Help!

I know that most in this thread are new to the forums, at least in terms of posts, but wondering if there are any members of Canon on here that can chime in?  Not sure how else to solicit support from Canon on something that would appear to be their issue.

Hi, spasmonaut!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Danny is there a support option to email for assistance, or any other free support option? This looks to be an issue on Canon's side and I don't believe it's reasonable to have to pay to call for support about something that appears to be no fault of the users and I cannot find any other means of contacting Canon to inquire about why their firmware updates are failing for multiple users posting on this thread.

We have support agents that pop in from time to time, however, the Community Forums are not intended for immediate assistance. There is no email support for PIXMA printers.

Again, if you need immediate help, you'll need to login to your My Canon Account and discover your personalized support options there. You can sign in or sign up for a My Canon Account HERE

I do want to thank you both, Stephen and Danny, for jumping into the thread and providing guidance.  That is appreciated.  WIth that said, it appears the only option I have is to call and since this is an older product there is no support without paying at this point from all that I've seen.  If this were a challenge on my side, I'd understand paying for that.  Given that myself and other users are having this same problem with the same device, I find it highly suspect that the issue would be on the individual customers and more likely an issue with Canon's firmware delivery to the printers.

I can't justify paying Canon to call them and report what is likely an issue on Canon's side, so I'm just looking for some means to bring this to Canon's attention to have them investigate what the feedback in this thread seems to suggest is a larger issue with the infrastructure that exists to deliver the firmware to these printers.  Unfortunately it appears we're isolated from support without paying Canon to call them about this problem.

Announcements