cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U052 Printhead Problem MX870

chdevers
Apprentice

Stopped printing while in the middle of a big job with full ink tanks, then when turned back on, gave the dreaded U052 print head error message.  I have tried everything given by Canon to re-start the printer, nothing works.

It dawns on me that maybe my ink tank stopped feeding ink despite the tank being full- the vent hole might not have been open all the way to allow ink to pass through.

I'm wondering whether this could somehow mess up the printhead, maybe it needs ink to keep it cool during operation or something??

It's completely aggravating that it stopped as it has and now that prevents even the scanner or fax from working-- this seems like a bad design.

Does anyone know whether the print head can be messed up if the tank stops feeding ink while in the middle of a print job?

Thanks!  And if you know that answer, then what do you do to get printer working again??

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This "solution" DOES NOT WORK.  I have tried it 15 times, the printer still comes up with that same error message.

What's worse, it DISABLES THE ENTIRE PRINTER -- I can't use any other function.  I have been left high and dry because I have desperately needed to send scanned contracts out and there is no way to do it.  I have had to rely on my partner to send me photos of the contracts so I can continue with business.... Canon has produced a terrible product because a simple failure puts the entire machine out of service, not just the failed print head mechanism.  Horrible design, terrible software or hardware installed control system. 

You even told me that purchasing a new print head won't fix the crazy thing.  Who the heck designed this crazy piece of junk?

How do I get it it replaced or repaired?   Moderator Note:  Removed personal phone number per forum guidelines.

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I can confirm your claim with high degree of certainty that Canon & all other brands apply the same trick for the purpose of generating more $.

eddytsang
Contributor
I did not aware of the time bomb as my mx870 served me well. I feel sorry to throw away a big box of ink. I bought 3 more mx920 at different time and they ok so far as I did not print as much as before. Maybe I will not reach the time bomb before other issue arise. Thanks and will watch out for it.

Cheers eddytsang. I honestly believe the error is a delibarate move by Canon and I will NEVER buy another Canon product because of this. Good luck with your other printers. My Epson gear is all running perfectly and I'm happy to be rid of my Canon gear for good.

Clarkman
Apprentice

This is nutzo. Disabling the scanner function and no way around?  We have tried everything.  Our Canon is dead.  Try to get parts, and you see this:

"Please note that for both product safety and optimal product operation most service parts should be installed only by a Canon authorized service provider."

What no online parts store? We'll call the toll free number tomorrow, but if the person on the other end of the line won't sell and ship the part to us, and requires that we ship the printer to them, then that will end our relationship with Canon.

"Canon: See the Impossible", er you mean a scanner that works when I need it?

Hi Clarkman. It's very hard to prove that Canon set their products to malfunction but it appears that's exactly what they do. For a company to do that is dispicable. Just use another brand, they are all similar. I'm happy with Epson - so far 🙂

eddytsang
Contributor
Great. May I know how to take it apart for the clean up?

Here's a video shows how to remove the printhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdM9Z6Nnxg

I don't think it's necessary to clean the printhead. Only need to clean the gold contacts.

The fix didn't last long. I'm getting it again.

Buy an Epson and save yourself grief from a greedy non-caring money grabbing company. Just sayin'

If they really did care about their customers, they would replace your printer with one that is not programmed to fail. Have they done that for you?

eddytsang
Contributor
Jim, sorry to learn that it did not last long. Maybe there is a life time on the print head. Please keep me posted on your next action and result.
Thanks and best wishes.
Announcements