cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

weberdj
Apprentice

I recently installed Windows 8.1.  ever since, I get the following error message

Cannot communicate with the printer.

I've looked for the bi--directional support on the printer's dialog box, but to no avail.  Can someone help me?

21 REPLIES 21

smolka
Apprentice

I have a Canon MX410 and it has begun to print 3/4 of a page and gives me the error code;

Cannot communicate with the printer.

What is going on?

Hi smolka,

Are you using your PIXMA MX410 with a USB cable or are you using it wirelessly?

Are you using Windows 8?

Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Help please, this does not work for me and I am tired of getting that message. I have followed your instructions to the letter, however, I do not have "ports as an option in properties. I do not have it in advanced properties only the drivers. What you are showing I do not have! 

I am using a Canon Pixma 430 series

Windows 7 Home Pro

Dell Inspiron Desktop

It is bad enough I have to over pay ( a fortune) for ink, I would like to be able to commuicate between printer and computer so I do not get that message every time I print! 

I am very unhappy with this product and am very sorry I let the salesmen talk me into buying this not a HP again. I have never had this much trouble with an HP. 

Thank you

Raven

cfids1@msn.com

Capture.PNG

I am not using a wireless.
I am using a 64 bit version of Win 7.

To everyone else who, like me, was unable to enable bidirectional support, two things.

1.  Make sure that when you right click, you're then clicking PRINTER properties, not just PROPERTIES.  If you click the right one, you WILL see a PORTS tab.

2.  When I did that, my option to enable bidirectional support was grayed (ghosted), which left me scratching my head.  But then I figured out why the computer was locking me out.  By first clicking on the button circled (which grants administrator rights and allows you to change settings), I was able to finally enable bidirectional support.

Enable_Bidirectional_Support_Circled.PNG

If you've been frustrated by getting the error message, then seeing the option grayed out, click on Change Properties first!

to Mr. Neuter. It worked perfectly. I was starting to despair ever seeing my ink display and it is essential in order to order cartridges on time, so thank you very much--glad they keep the posts for 2 years.  The only thing I did not have to do was to click "Change properties" for my Pixma 560. Instead, I just clicked on the "Ports" tab and right at the bottom checked the box

Turn Enable bi-directional support. Neat and clear and much easier than other suggestions too intricate for me and that didn't seem to work that well. So thanks!

@MrNeuterwrote:

To everyone else who, like me, was unable to enable bidirectional support, two things.

1.  Make sure that when you right click, you're then clicking PRINTER properties, not just PROPERTIES.  If you click the right one, you WILL see a PORTS tab.

2.  When I did that, my option to enable bidirectional support was grayed (ghosted), which left me scratching my head.  But then I figured out why the computer was locking me out.  By first clicking on the button circled (which grants administrator rights and allows you to change settings), I was able to finally enable bidirectional support.

If you've been frustrated by getting the error message, then seeing the option grayed out, click on Change Properties first!

@MrNeuterwrote:

GrayWise
Apprentice

I'm getting this message plus "Printer Error" after installing 8.1.  Priunter in question is MG4250. Grrrr.

lucchinigi
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MP 160 and have just upgraded to Windows 10.

I have gone through the procedure of "adding printer" and apparently the proper driver has been installed.

But then, when trying to print, I have experienced exactly what you describe.

In Printer's Properties dialog box I have opened "Ports" and there have found the box "Enable bi-directional support".

Unfortunately, this has not resolved the problem. I have clicked into the box, then clicked "OK", and nothing has happened. For some reason, this change does not "stick". For the moment I am stuck there.

I wish you a better luck and if you succeed in printing please let me know.

Lucchinigi.

Hi

I'm getting the same error message since upgrading to windows 10 with my Canon MP610 printer.  I have done everything suggested but I check the box and then when I go back in it is uncheched again.

Can anyone help?

Thanks 

Hi Tee3Jay,

I have had the same problem with windows 10 and fixed it - if you still have the CD with the drivers then I suggest you re load the operating instructions. Also, very important, the MP 610 is a USB device so make sure the PC has allocated a USB port (it will try to use LP1 by default and this will not recognise the printer. Hope this helps.

HAGTOL

Announcements