cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS9120 printer connected to network but printing says it's offline

hackwriter
Contributor

This TS9120 printer is the worst one I've ever had.  It connects to my wireless network, but the only time that the computer sees the printer is right after I restart the printer.  Pressing the power button to "wake up" a sleeping printer doesn't work.  The display is shown, but the printer is still detected as offline until I turn it off and then back on again.  Scanning is often intermittent as well for the same reason.  And don't tell me it's the computer, because I never had this problem with my old MX892, which ran like a dream for eight years.

20 REPLIES 20

Hi hackwriter,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you.

I've done that before.  All they gave me was "Move the printer closer to the router", which is not possible.

Once again after a couple more days the printer is off line again or is in an error state with no troubleshooter help or explanation. Will Canon support check settings remotely as I used to let HP do for my previous printer? I feel like I'm the only one having this problem since nobody seems to be able to give me a satisfactory (permanent) solution. Am I the only one that needs to manually connect the printer every couple of days?

No you're not.  There is clearly some kind of design problem with this printer, or else there was a bad batch.  When did you buy your printer?

I think it was last March. It's weird that sometimes it says the printer is offline, but right now it just says that "Error printing... could not print your document." Windows troubleshooter says it "can't identify the problem." I think I'm taking it back. Good thing I bought the extended warranty.

Hey everyone! Same Printer, new error message to report. After a surprise printing of a couple of pages after a day sitting idle, today, a couple days later, Microsoft Excel reports the error: "Your file could not be printed due to an error on the Canon TS9100 series..." If you want to gamble buying one of these, get the warranty. 

Same problem. Disconnects, then I power off, power on, it connects, I print one job and that is it. Super frustrating.

It also uses an unbelievable amount of ink and seems to use photo black instead of standard black for regular print jobs. 

Yep.  Except power off/power on doesn't do it for me.  I have to do a connection repair every time I want to print.  I finally have gone out and bought an HP OfficeJet and I also have a Canon MX922 that my sister was getting rid of.  ANYTHING is better than this TS9120 hunka junk.  And you're right -- the ink use is preposterous.

I don't print a whole lot, but I do feel like I'm ordering ink more often than I should. I think I had Spectrum solve my connection issue for a while, but after I had to reboot the modem I lost whatever setttings they changed and I'm back to turnong it off/on to get it connected again.

As I suspected, after just 2 days, for some reason the printer is offline again. Again the IJ Utility is asking me to go to the manual connect mode to set up the printer. This sure is not what I was hoping for when I bought a "wireless" printer. Sure it's wireless as long as you take a few minutes to connect it up every time. Might as well plug in the USB cable to print. Takes much less time, but NOT what I was hoping for. Will try the method recommended here.

Announcements