cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS9120 printer connected to network but printing says it's offline

hackwriter
Contributor

This TS9120 printer is the worst one I've ever had.  It connects to my wireless network, but the only time that the computer sees the printer is right after I restart the printer.  Pressing the power button to "wake up" a sleeping printer doesn't work.  The display is shown, but the printer is still detected as offline until I turn it off and then back on again.  Scanning is often intermittent as well for the same reason.  And don't tell me it's the computer, because I never had this problem with my old MX892, which ran like a dream for eight years.

20 REPLIES 20

BillS
Mentor

Hi Hackwriter,

The printer has no way of disconnecting itself from the wireless network, so let's check the printer's connection to the network.  The network details can be printed using the instructions HERE

Much of the information will not be relevant, but the important things to look at are:

1. Is the connection active or inactive?

2. Does the SSID (network name) match the one the computer uses?

3. What is the signal strength?

4. What is the IPv4 IP address?

I look forward to your reply. 

Connection is active.

Network name matches computer

Signal strength -- now this is where I run into issues.  The printer is right next to the computer, but the computer has no network problems.  The printer shows 60% signal strength.

The IPv4 IP address is 192.168.0.8

If the signal strength is the problem, then this is a weakness in the printer, because my old printer was a PIXMA as well, from 8 years ago, and it had NO signal strength problems in the exact same location.

Also...the printer shows grayed out in the control panel if the computer or display goes to sleep.  If I turn the printer on, it remains gray until I reboot the computer.

Schkev
Contributor

Same issue here. Here are the details you requested:

Connection: Active

SSID: Matches computer network

Signal: 100 %

IPv4: 192.168.0.11

Hi Schkev,

Everything looks great with your printers connection to your network. I recommend trying to see if you can access the printers remote user interface.

Please open a web browser on your computer, and in the address bar, please type the IP Address on the configuration page into the address bar. Next, tap Go or Enter to access the page. Are you able to see the printer's remote interface?

We look forward to your reply.

Not sure if I understand. I put 192.168.0.11 into chrome address bar and it says "This site can't be reached. 192.168.0.11 took too long to respond."

Hi Schkev,

Since the remote user interface did not load, it looks like the computer is not communicating with the printer. This is normally caused by a firewall or security setting on the computer.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, please download our free Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy app. Once the app is installed, please open it and select register printer to see if the app can connect with the printer.

If you are able to connect the printer with the app and print, that means there is either a security or firewall setting on the computer that is blocking communication to the printer and I would recommend contacting Apple or Microsoft( depending on your operating system) to have them troubleshoot the cause of the block.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Downloaded the IJ Network Device Setup Utility and Followed the directions there. It helped me make the changes I needed to get the laptop to print... for now. Still not certain that it's a permanent fix as I feel like this is a recurring problem some how. Had the same issues on the HP printer I ditched because I had to turnit off and back on everytime I needed to print. If I continue to have success in future print jobs I will update.

Schkev:  I can run the device setup utility in "diagnose/repair" mode to get it to print, but it is exactly as you said -- it is not a permanent fix.  And I'm not buying that the printer is too far from the cable modem (hey, that's what Spectrum calls it), because my old PIXMA ip3000 never had a problem and it was in the exact same place as this one.  I think this printer model just has some kind of design flaw or crappy network card.

Correction:  My old printer was an MX892. And it was even farther away from the router than my current TS9120 -- and on a different floor of the house!  I am about to throw in the towel on this one and try an HP Envy.  I have been a Canon printer household since about 1998 but with this lousy printer, I am done.  There is no good reason for this printer to have this much trouble staying connected.

Announcements