cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS9120 Borderless 4x6 print does not scale properly

andrejfavia
Contributor

GREETINGS.

I am using macOS 10.14 to print a borderless 4x6 onto Plus Glossy II paper using my TS9120 with the latest over-the-air firmware downloaded to my printer.

The image data are stored in a JPG at 300 dpi. I have also tried printing the same image data from a PDF. The problem that I describe below seems to not depend on file format.

In my print settings, I have "Paper Size" set to "4 x 6 Borderless," "Feed from" set to "Rear Tray," "Media Type" set to "Photo," and "Quality" set to "Best."

The problem that I am having is that the image information does not scale properly on printout. On the printer dialogue, when I set "Scale" to 100%, the image is stretched out from the bottom right corner by about 3%. (In landscape orientation, the bottom right corner of the photo paper in the rear tray points behind and toward the right of the "A" in "PIXMA" on the top cover of the printer.) The result is that the bottom short edge of the printed photo is missing the true image data. The print along the bottom short edge has been replaced by the image data from a few pixels higher up on the photo and stretched to the bottom edge and slightly to the right.

I have tried to correct for this by scaling the image in the print settings from 100% back to 97%. This does not fully undo the stretching, but is still better than at 100%. However, if I try to go lower (e.g., 96.5%), then a white border appears along the *opposite* short edge of the photo.

I never used to have these problems when I had my MG7720, which Canon agreed to replace.

What's going on? How do I get my 4 x 6 borderless prints to scale correctly?

13 REPLIES 13

andrejfavia
Contributor

[...16 days later...]

Greetings again!

I have not yet received a response to my inquiry back on October 7 with regard to why there is not a 1:1 scale match between a 4x6 image on my computer and the corresponding 4x6 photo print coming from my TS9120.

Can someone reply with answers to my questions?

Hi, andrejfavia!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

That did not answer my question.

Can someone else help me?

Hi andrejfavia,

Let's start by deleting and re-adding the printer.

1. Click on the Apple logo in the upper left of your screen.

2. Select "System Preferences."

3. Select "Printers and Scanners."

4. Highlight the TS9100 series on the left side and click the "-" sign in the lower left.

5. Confirm the deletion.

6. Click the "+" sign in the lower left.

7. Select “Add Printer or Scanner.”

8. On the Add screen, select the TS series with Bonjour Multifunction listed in the Kind column.  Select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the Use: dropdown list. 

9. Press "Add."

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, following those steps and re-adding the printer did not fix the problem.

Let me illustrate.

Here is a made-up 4x6 300 dpi JPG.

4x6btest300dpiJ.jpg

When I ask my TS9120 to print that file to a 4x6 borderless print on Photo Paper, here is what prints:

4x6btest300dpiOutput.jpg

As you can tell, the corners are chopped, and it's not symmetric.

Why are my pictures not showing?

They were showing the other day, and instead I receive the following error message:

"Safari Canʼt Open the Page

Safari canʼt open the page “blob:https://community.usa.canon.com/597cd12 8-1729-4f3b-b31c-9bbaac2d7f88”. The error is: “The operation couldnʼt be completed. (WebKitBlobResource error 1.)” (WebKitBlobResource:1)"

Let's try this again.

Following those steps and re-adding the printer did not fix the problem.

Let me illustrate.

Here is a made-up 4x6 300 dpi JPG.

andre1.JPG

When I ask my TS9120 to print that file to a 4x6 borderless print on Photo Paper, here is what prints:

andre2.JPG

As you can tell, the corners are chopped, and it's not symmetric.

Hi andrejfavia,

When printing borderless, the image will extend off the edges of the page, in order to ensure that the image is borderless.  does the image appear normally when printing bordered?

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

BillS, I do not understand this comment:

> When printing borderless, the image will extend off the edges of the page

^ It should not do that. It should not "extend off the edges of the page."

When I had my MG7720, and I specified exactly the same thing with that printer, 4x6 borderless, the photo would print EXACTLY what I asked it to print, with EXACTLY the correct size, and no "extend[ing] off the edges." Like, the corners would not get chopped off with my old printer. So, I do not understand why you would make the claim, with this printer, the TS9120, that the corners would "extend off the edges of the page." My point exactly is that this behavior should not happen. But your statement suggests to me that Canon's designers deliberately programmed the printer to print 4x6 borderless incorrectly.

Second, to ensure that the image is borderless, a 4x6 print should just fit exactly onto a 4x6 sheet of Photo Paper Glossy II, with no extensions, with exactly the same dimensions as were prepared from the original file... and automatically print without any borders, and without requiring any corrections.

Third, to suggest that the image has to extend off the edges of the page still does not explain why the stretching is asymmetric. Note that more "chopping" of the photo occurred along the edge of the image with the green and blue squares, rather than along the edge with the red and magenta squares. This raises a second question to me as to why the printer's firmware is programmed to stretch the photo from a point other than its geometric center.

With regard to your question:

>does the image appear normally when printing bordered?

A thin white border does appear around the perimeter of the image, where there is no ink, and there does not appear to be any stretching.

But I am looking to do a borderless print, so, no border, and no stretching.

With regard to this suggestion:

>call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance

Before I go through this Contact Us form, can you direct me to any further information to troubleshoot?

Greetings again. On Sat. November 3, 2018 at 8:06pm edt I sent a message to Canon through the online form located at https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus to request further support. However, I have not yet received a response.

Announcements