cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS5020 looking for printer error and a Canon account problem

ltweaver
Contributor

I've got a MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6.  I bought the TS5020 around January 1 of this year. I occasionally get the "Printer not connected looking for printer" message at the printer icon.  I managed to connect with Canon once soon after setting the printer up initially and the guy walked me through setting the whole thing up again (using the USB cord) and then told me about "reset printer system".  That got the printer going again.  I've had to reset the printer system several times since then.  Very annoying!  The printer was set up and connected. I made sure that before unplugging the printer that it was truly off and when using it again I made sure that it was plugged into my computer before turning the printer on and waited a couple of minutes after turning it on before asking it to print and it still came up with looking for printer. Is there any way to permanently get rid of this problem?

The reason I bought this printer is that my old Canon printer died - I had it for 10 years and I must have set up a Canon account at that time but I had forgotten the password.  After trying several times to get into the account Canon said my account has been disabled and I needed to call them to set up a new password.  I called and the agent said someone would contact me by email in a week or so to resolve this.  it has been a month and no email.  When I call Canon I am told the wait time is 30 minutes.  Is there a way around this?  Is there another phone number I can call that doesn't have such a long wait time?

Thank you.  Joyce Keay

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, Joyce! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've notified our IT team about your situation and hope to have a solution soon. In the meantime, please check your inbox to make sure that any email responses that you might have received from Canon USA didn't accidentally get classified as spam.

In the meantime, we've got information on how to get your PIXMA TS5020 connected to your computer via a USB cable right HERE.

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for your reply. I have a friend whose emails, for some weird reason, always end up i my spam box so I check that regularly.  I look forward to being able to get into my Canon account. Joyce Keay

As to the other part of your response, after initially setting the printer up without a problem, then encountering the "looking for printer" error I did call Canon and talked with a techie (after being on hold for about 30 minutes).  We reset up the printer and he showed me how to reset printer system. I've done both several times since talking with him and still get this annoying error.  I would just like to be able to turn the printer on and print without having to go through the above steps.  I had an MP480 for about 10 years and never had a problem until thei ink absorbers became full.  So is there a way to be rid of this very annoying problem?

Hi Joyce,

USB connection, although limiting in some regard because it only connects the printer to one device, is a very reliable connection method.  

You should not have to continually reset "the printing system" on your MAC each time you want to use the printer.  In general USB is persistent and reliable.  Your recurring problem might lead us to believe there is something else that might be contributung to the issue.

The software application you are printing from, the drivers you are using, power management settings, etc, but something else since the printer itself should work fine consistently. 

What specific drivers are you using with your Hi-Sierra OS?    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, Thanks for your reply.  I'm using whatever drivers Canon loaded when I set up the TS5020. I didn't do anything special.  I would hope that when I go through the setup routine from the first step to the last that Canon would automatically use the latest drivers for this printer that are appropriate for High Sierra 10.13.6.

The apps I print from the most are Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Word and Excel and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  I sometimes print an email from the Thunderbird app or print a page off the web.  I can't remember specifically which app rssults in the the "Printer not connected.  Looking for printer" error.  These apps didn't give my Canon MP480 a problem.  It doesn't happen every time which is so frustrating.

So again I have not received an e-mail form Canon regarding the fact that my Canon account has been disabled.  I would very much like to get that straightened out too (you can see the issue on a previous post to this forum).

Thanks.  Joyce Keay

Hi, I thought you might like to know that I finally heard from Canon and was able to change my password, get into my account and register my printer.  

The last three times I turned the printer on it worked just fine so maybe all that is behind me.  I hope so.

Thank you for your help.

Joyce Keay

Announcements