cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR8520 will not print - I get the "Printer not responding" error message

drgerry
Contributor

Brand new 1/3/20

TR8520 will not print - I get the "Printer not responding" error message. Print documents are in the que but do not print.

Win7 / Wireless connection

Scanner works fine

I can ping the IP and get to the printer, so I know it's online

Laptop sees the printer and says "device is working properly"

However, when printing Test Pages they never print, neither from Win Devices & Printers, or from the Canon install application

I've tried uninstall / reinstall / unstall driver / update driver / power on/off (both printer and laptop)'

I even tried direct ethernet connection to my network, same result.

My previous MX892 worked flawlessly with wireless connection so I don't think it would be anything in my Windows settings (got the "incorrect printhead error" had to abandon it).

Canon support doesn't work on weekends, (thanks a lot!)

Anybody been able to solve this problem?

16 REPLIES 16

drgerry
Contributor

I would really like to get some input here . . . . . This has got to be a simple fix since all functions work except sending a print document to the printer.

I really need to start working . . . . 

I've even uninstalled everything, cleaned the registry as well, and reinstalled. Same error.

The Canon setup utility even takes me to the "print test page", when I click "Start" . . . nothing happens.

Please help .  . . . .. thank you.

Greetings,

Form a connection standpoint, it sounds like the printer is connected to your network.  What Windows OS is this?

You can PING and I assume visit the printer's webserver by entering this IP into a web browser?

Do you have any 3rd party antivirus software installed in your windows environment? or software affecting the windows firewall?

Next thing to check.  Is the Print Spooler service started?  What happens of you restart it?  (services.msc).  Ensure you F5 (refresh) the services window and ensure the service remains "started" after restarting the service.

What does the printer status show as in "Device and Printers", Ready, Offline, etc?

Are you able to print from a mobile device connected to the same network? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Windows 7 OS

Yes, Print Spooler started (Automatically)

I returned the first TR8520 back to Best Buy yesterday. I did further research last night and went to a different Best Buy today and talked to the Geek Squad. One of them said it must have been a bad printer. I purchase another one. However, it is doing the same thing.

I have just run the Troubleshooter. It told me that setting the Canon TR8500 Fax as the default may allow printing to this device". Weird, why would setting the Fax as the default instead of the Printer help? I just tried and and will do a test print . . .  .standby . . . . Nope, it is triing to send a fax, should have guessed that.

Reset default to Printer and getting "printer not responding", still.

Windows sees it on the network / I can ping the IP and get to the printer / Scanner works fine

Devices & Printers = "This device is working properly"

Now that I have a Test Page in the print que, when I ping the printer I see "Printer is executing another task". What does that mean?

I just cleared the print que and now the Remote UI for the Printer says "Ready to Print".

This is crazy . . . . . 

the only way I can get it to print is to connect it via USB

It will not work over the network . . . . My other MX892 worked fine for many years. Even transition from XP to Win 7.

I wish someone would point me in the right direction as to why it won't work. 

As I said previously, it won't even work hardwired by ethernet to my network. Is there a network setting somewhere that is blocking it?

Hi drgerry.

The way Windows manages devices causes it to treat the printer connected by USB as a separate device from that same printer connected by WiFi; this is a limitation in the Windows OS.  If you're trying to print to the TR8520's registration set up for USB, it will not automatically forward to that printer on WiFi.

Try removing the current entries for the "Canon TR8500 Series" from your printers list, then running the MP Driver (Ver. 1.02) installation from the TR8520 Drivers & Downloads page.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

tried that

even cleaned the registry.

reinstall ended the same way. . . will not print via WiFi or even ethernet connection.

Hi drgerry,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, but it's hard to meet their operating hours for printer support when they don't work on weekends.

I just added it successfully in my work Win10 computer. I simply selected Add Printer, let it find and install TR8520 (without the Canon install CD), but when I seleceted Print Test Page, it tried to go to the Fax. However, doing a Test page from Windows>Device & Printers printed without issue.

There's something with Win7 this printer doesn't like.

Announcements