cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR8520 Ink Usage

Varmit0
Apprentice

I bought my printer last December and I only print in Draft format and black ink. Why are the color ink cartriges runing when I never print in color?

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Varmit0,

The use of each ink varies depending on the color of image to be printed or the contents of document. Two kinds of black ink (PGBK and BK) are used automatically depending on the media type to print or on the settings of the printer driver. PGBK is used mainly for printing text-based documents and BK is used mainly for printing photos, illustration, etc. Black-and-white printing may also use ink other than black ink. So, color ink is consumed even when printing in black-and-white.

To use only the PGBK ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I keep the setting on plain paper and the documents are also always in black originially and I have lost so much color ink. I am very upset and would not have bought this type of printer if I knew this in advance, I am going through so much Ink i have kept my 20 year old printer so that I can continue to print on that. Wish I could exchange it. 

Hi RISSAK2K7,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

RISSAK2K7
Apprentice

I just joined this community becuase I have the same problem, it is extremely frustrating and I would never have bought this printer had I known this would be a problem. I mainly only print in draft black and white too, to save on ink. my color ink is completely gone and I setup my printer in the Springtime 2020. it is July 2020. I already replace the black once. 

CStan96
Apprentice

I had a similar issue. I rarely use my printer and I buy the largest ink cartridges. I printed fewer than a dozen text documents, didn't need to print for a few months, and all of my ink somehow ran out when I came back to print again.

Announcements