cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Code 1403- install Correct Print Head?- I have a pixma MG5522

AllysonDostal
Apprentice

I have never had any issues with this printer until now. It wont let me do anything and says I need to Install the Correct Print Head. It was bought with all origional pieces? What do I need to do?

I seen someone else post about this issue and I followed there guidlines but they had a slightly different printer and didnt have the same interior as mine.

I restarted the printer, took out all the ink cartridges as what was said to do and looked for the grey lever they were talking about but I dont think mine has one?

Any way the printer is still on support code 1403 so someone please help!

Thanks

79 REPLIES 79

I have a Pixma MX922 and was glad to have a sheet fed scanner to process a big stack of legal documents. It throws a 1403 error and refuses to allow me into the scan function. This is clearly a fundamental design error on Canon's part. I'm willing to accept the message from Canon that they assembled by machine using the wrong print head. I'll consider that confession in making future printer purchases.

Hello,
I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem. If you've read the comments under this support code problem you'll see that Canon lost a class action suit for this problem in 2015 and have not changed their technology. Why would we buy another Canon. Not me. Just bought an HP as recommended by Wirecutter.

I have the same printer and I'm a geek with multiple printers and computers so I hate throwing stuff away. I looked at all the answers plus all the help info and I don't have a menu button so many of the answers did not work for me. I was going to throw it out and since I did not give a dam I tried man handling it. All the power on / off / pull plug / hit menu buttons did nothing at.

I did the following with it powered on and the ink access cover up which centers the cartridges.  I found out that first you pull out all of the cartridges and put them aside. Then you grab the front of the cartridge holder and start pulling forward from the right side which is easy to get to. What happens is the assembly is spring loaded down in back. It will pop up in the back on the spring lock. You might have to lift it in back with your finger because that snap lock is strong. Then push the assembly "forcefully" to the right just enough so you can pull up the left side of the cartridge holder up on it's spring lock. Part of the front of the printer frame gets in the way which is why I had to force the cartridge assembly to the right to clear the obsticle. Then push both sides back in at the same time and it snaps back down reseating itself. I put the cartridges back in and it ran fine and gave me the full touch screen menu and all ink levels. My suspicion is that replacing cartridges over and over moves that assembly either out of position or makes the sensor not read properly.

Minio
Apprentice

Same thing has happened to my MG7520. Pulling the ink cartridges and printer head and then turning off the power before reinstalling had no effect. Shame on Canon for not solving this issue with so many of their printers.

Deanomites
Apprentice
Same problem. Error 1403, followed the instructions ... what’s the next step? Do they send out replacement printer head?

Ahaha - nice joke! Next step - trow Canon away and never buy it again!

User10181
Contributor

when I turn on my MG6320(after error code 1403) on the LCD is says CANON thru the noisy startup. No Maintainence button to push. Any other suggestions?

Hi CarArt,

If the display does not show any functions, let's start by reseating the print head.  I have included full instructions for doing so HERE.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ok, followed directions but get to "remove print head" and it won't come out. Pulled the front tab(Bk GY Y....) and it came forward to the stop but a half inch or so. Using more force than I care to but it's not coming out any further.

so I tried that twice. Said Processing... Support code 1403

Announcements