cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Code 1403- install Correct Print Head?- I have a pixma MG5522

AllysonDostal
Apprentice

I have never had any issues with this printer until now. It wont let me do anything and says I need to Install the Correct Print Head. It was bought with all origional pieces? What do I need to do?

I seen someone else post about this issue and I followed there guidlines but they had a slightly different printer and didnt have the same interior as mine.

I restarted the printer, took out all the ink cartridges as what was said to do and looked for the grey lever they were talking about but I dont think mine has one?

Any way the printer is still on support code 1403 so someone please help!

Thanks

79 REPLIES 79

[QUOTE]

I have a MG7550 which was working perfectly until suddenly this 1403 message came up so I couldn't do anything with the machine. Couldn't use the scanner or copier. Tried all the usual stuff removing cartridges, cleaning the electrics on the cartridges, turning on and off blah blah. Nothing. Then I tried turning the machine on but before it finished going into printing mode with all the whirring and clicking that involves, I got to the start up screen and chose set up, maintenance, clean or adjust device, then auto print head alignment.  The display was indicating the levels of the ink on all the cartridges so I figured out that that it had decided it did recognise them after all!

Anyway after it had done the print head alignment I did some normal printing and it worked fine. 

No more error message.

WeeHAH![/QUOTE]

@jcship99

>>I got to the start up screen >>

The Home icon appears for just one second and during the MG7550 printer startup it appears to be non responsive.

could you please elaborate how did you intercept the startup screen?

After pressing the Power On button, only for an instant I can see the buttomless icons. Then everything disappears until I got that 1403 error.

@jcship99 wrote:

I have a MG7550 which was working perfectly until suddenly this 1403 message came up so I couldn't do anything with the machine. Couldn't use the scanner or copier. Tried all the usual stuff removing cartridges, cleaning the electrics on the cartridges, turning on and off blah blah. Nothing. Then I tried turning the machine on but before it finished going into printing mode with all the whirring and clicking that involves, I got to the start up screen and chose set up, maintenance, clean or adjust device, then auto print head alignment.  The display was indicating the levels of the ink on all the cartridges so I figured out that that it had decided it did recognise them after all!

Anyway after it had done the print head alignment I did some normal printing and it worked fine. 

No more error message.

WeeHAH!

Error code 1403

I have been looking for a solution to this issue when I came across this post.  I was about to do as 90% other people suggest and bin the printer and buy a different make.  Anyway thought I'd try this solution again and it does seem to have worked.  I have managed to scan a document, copt a document which printed fine and print a excel document.

I can't exactly say how I did it but, as suggested turned the printer off and then on again and while it went through all its whirring and clicking I had the maintenence set up on my computer ( from Control panel - devices and printers, dbl click printer and click display printer properties then select maintenacne tab) I just kept on clicking print head alignment , align print head and kept going round in circles doing same thing.  

It now seems to be ok, but we';; wait and see.  But it certainly has printed fine.

Thanks for the solution.  I have a MG7550

Thanks for the heads up eevie, I missed that first time around. I did try that method a few times without success.

I did however purchase a new print head and for now at least it appears to like the look of it. If it rejects it later on I'll report back.

This did not help me.  I could not get a response from the menu option despite pressing it right from the beginning after I started the machine.  I tried your suggestion 3 times.

Dear eevie

Many thanks for this fix.  I have a 4-year old MG 5650 which has always worked well until today when it returned the 1403 error message after I replaced 2 ink cartridges.

I tried the cleaning and replacing routine to no avail - I couldn't get to the 'Home' screen, just kept getting blocked by the error message but then I found your post.

I had to keep pressing the 'Home' button several times as the printer was coming on but it worked and I was able to get the maintenance menu and re-align the print-heads.

So far, so good, the printer seems to be working again.

Many thanks - very glad not to have to replace the printer! Woman Happy

Miriam

Hi,

i too have the MG7550 with the exact same error code 1403.

I have attempted to follow your instructions but cannot get to the startup screen.  I have repeatadly attempted to press the home button during setup but it will not allow me to access any screen options.  It simply carries on whirring away until the error 1403 is displayed again.

I would areally appreciate it if you could detail a little more about how you managed to get to the screen options during boot.

Many thanks,

Paul

It's happened to me a few times and using the 'Auto head alignment' procedure works. Getting to the service screen is a bit random. It ususally takes a number of attempts - After (before actually) pressing the 'On' button I press the 'Home' button repeatedly as the printer is starting up, it can take a few attempts. I'm sure there's a more systematic way but I haven't found it.  

HuggsBehr
Apprentice

I too fell vitim to this code.  I went through all the steps mentioned a gazillion times on dozens of threads.  When that didn't work I ordered a new printhead (QY6-0082) and still have the 1403 error code.  This is an issue that has been going on for over 4 years.  Canon has settled on class action law suite in 2015, but has done NOTHING to fix the problem.  People are still dealing with it 3 years later.  I've started writing letters to the company, consumer groups, and the state consumer protection agency. 

This is the last Canon I will ever buy.  

I have the same problem.  Someone suggested another class action suit. Sign me up!

I have a Pixma MX 922 and am getting the support code 1403.

I've tried the suggestions listed in previous entries to fix support code 1403 including buying a brand new print head for $90 from Canon... all to no avail.  The support code "incorrect print head" is still showing.  

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to post possible fixes.  You're better than Canon Support where you have to pay to get help!!!! 

This is unethical business practice.  I don't understand why PC Magazine is still recommending Canon printers! I will be writing to them to be sure they know about this problem.

What a disappointment, Canon!

Announcements