cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange scanner problem

jdsmort
Contributor

System is W10 Pro(build 18362_release.190318-1202.. not yet updated to 1909 yet.
The scanner in question is on a Canon MP495.. All latest drivers from Canon installed. It is being used Wireless.
Problem is, on initial install, the scanner software when started (Canon MP Navigator) and asked to scan, will immediately put up a message to the effect the scanner is warming up, and then within a couple of seconds, start the scan.. this is what it is MEANT to do.
After some time.. maybe a day, maybe a week, depending on when I next need to scan... when I start the MP Navigator and ask to scan it goes away and has a think for maybe 3 or 4 minutes after the "Warming up" message comes up. Then starts the scan. If I stop and then restart, still the sane result. Also, as the software has a feature enabling multiple scans in the one session, if I use this, I still have to wait for this long period for each scan.

I checked with Canon, but they could not offer a solution..
The way I fix is to remove the printer.. I do this from within the Device Manager.. Delete the appropriate Print Queue, and remove the device on prompt.. Then reinstall the driver.. it finds the printer on the network and installs it again.. and then everything works fine, or at least within that session.
I have not yet managed to isolate exactly when this stops responding. I originally thought after I installed a Windows update, but later found this was not the cause.. (stopped responding with no updates installed after the previous use)

Canon drivers used are
mp68-win-mp495-1_03-ea24.exe (driver)
mpnx_4_0-win-4_03-ea23_2.exe (MP Navigator)
The driver also installs a Network tool, which finds the printer on the network even though the scan will not start promptly.

I did not bother with the XPS driver as I do not use this to print anything anyway.... purely used as a scanner.
Any ideas??

10 REPLIES 10

Seems possibly this is a 'too hard' solve..  as no replies here for some time.

Announcements