cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Black Ink 3E Cartridge behaviour in Pixma iP4000

Viccr7
Apprentice

Hello, I have both an i865 and an iP4000 which have the same 5 Inks and Printhead unit.  I understand that for printing A4 Black only (Greyscale) sheets, that just the large 3E Ink Cartridge is used.

On an iP4000 just bought second-hand, I found when doing a "Nozzle Check" that the Black lines rectangular grid does not show at all.  I ran all the maintenance cleaning routines and also manually cleaned the area carefully also fitted a brand new cartridge but to no avail.

A page of text in "Word" will not print a single word using the 3E (Greyscale setting) whereas in Colour Mode, the text if changed to red or yellow or blue does appear in colour when printed out.

Supposing that the Black 3E Printhead is not damaged or clogged, does anyone have an idea why the Canon should be doing this in the 3E Mode (Greyscale)?

I have freshly downloaded the Driver and wonder if there is some deeply located setting which is causing the Black Printing not to come on? (on my assumption that the Printhead is neither damaged nor blocked which I believe might be the case).

Thanks for any response.

1 REPLY 1

sackbut
Apprentice

Could be a bad print head.  Unfortunately, Canon discontinued the print heads for the ip4000.  I'm trying to find a reliable source for a replacement print head.  No luck so far.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements