cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still unable to clear error code 5200 on my MP500

JimD53
Contributor

Hi still trying to clear this error code. I have exhausted all the different reset procedures.
One call to Canon support states it is paper jam and another call to support stated the code indicates thermal overload.
All 5 ink tanks were fresh 3 months ago and working fine. Then turned on printer recently to see the error code.
The feed switch light is green, copy light is flashing and alarm light flashing.
There is no paper jam anywhere and no lights on the ink tanks. Everything was fine after I changed the Canon tanks for new ones.
I guess I’m just against throwing this printer out before I’ve tried everything.
Has anyone out there managed to get their MP500 working again with this error?
Thanks,
Jim

7 REPLIES 7

JimD53
Contributor

Just after posting about my MP500 error code problem, I couldn"t get over how many other people are having persistant error codes for no apparent reason. As I said, the cost of the ink tanks were well over $100. and I certainly don't wish to buy them again.  I would even settle to be able to scan to my PC, even if the printer is unusable.

There hopefully will be away to get this unit working again.

The Canon support group suggested I buy a new printer. Now that was a great help!

Thanks,

Jim

Hello again,

I’m still trying to get my printer working again. I guess I just won’t give up! Lol

When the error code 5200 first appeared, the 5 ink tanks did not have the red lights illuminated.

I have cleaned the printer head and tank holder, but the following is where I am now......

with the power on, I remove the 5 ink tanks, then the tank basket .

I put the print head unit back in and one of the ink tanks.

Leaving the unit open, I push and hold the stop button and push the power button off then on, then push the stop button 4 times.

At this point, the single ink tank lights red, so I put the other 4 tanks back in and they all are illuminated.

I then close the printer top down and at this time the error code 5200 is gone but now what is showing is “ wrong printer head, install correct one”

I then restart the printer, and code 5200 is back and the red lights on the ink tanks are off.

All 5 Canon ink tanks are new and full.

Hi, Jim!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for the reply Danny,

I did contact Canon Canada support several times. Each individual came up with a different explanation for the error code my printer is displaying. I was told that it probably would be a good idea to purchase a new Canon printer. 

I’m just not ready to give up yet. Lol

I searched the forum data base, but the reset options I read about did not work.

Perhaps someone else on this forum may be encountering the same issue as I am.

Sincerely,

Jim

After several months and countless attempts to get the printer working again, it looks like it’s time to move on.

after trying all posted reset procedures, the error code 5200 comes up again after reboot.

this last attempt went as follows.

Powering on the print results in error code 5200 along with flashing error light.

Opening the unit, the 5 ink tank lights are not lit.

i then powered the unit off, removed the ink tanks AND printer head

then I held down the reset button, then the power on button then pressed the reset twice.

I then put the printer head back in then the ink tanks. At this point, the ink tank lights are on.

I then closed the printer, and error code 5200 is gone and now “incorrect printer head”

I then shut off the printer but when I turn it back on, the error code 5200 is back and the ink tank lights are out.

I don’t like giving up but I guess I’ve had it.

Canon support was not very helpful and a local PC shop would not touch it.

Too bad, because it seems with all these posts I read about, there appears to be a definite issue with a good number of Canon printers

Hi JimD53,

If support code 5200 persists after resetting the unit, the printer will require service.

Please contact Canon Canada for local service options.

JimD53
Contributor
Thank you for your reply, however Canon customer support has been contacted numerous times.
After all reset procedures failed to bring the printer back to working order, I contacted support once again and was told there was no service available for this unit.
I was told, and I quote, “ looks like it’s time to buy a new Canon printer”
Well sir, you have got to be kidding .
I have zero confidence in the Canon product, and certainly will not be purchasing another.
Announcements