cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Menu EX won't install on iMac 10.11.5 El Capitan

kwinieck
Contributor

When I try to install Solution Menu EX 1.4.1 on iMac 10.11.5, it says there is a later version already installed, and won't install. I don't have a later version. How to get Solution Menu EX to install on MacOS El Capitan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi kwinieck,

I would like to have you reset the printing system on your Mac, then reinstall the drivers and software to see if this will resolve the issue.  To reset the printing system, please follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences should be empty. If your printer is still listed on the left select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it.

3. Restart your Mac.

Next, we will want to download the latest drivers from the Canon USA website. Please click here to go to the PIXMA MG8120 Drivers and Downloads page. Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.

2. Next, below the red box labeled "DRIVERS", locate the CUPS file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a dark gray DOWNLOAD button will appear; below that, a checkbox will be shown asking you to agree to the terms of the disclaimer to continue with the download. Please click in that checkbox to agree to the terms. When you do, the dark gray DOWNLOAD button will turn red. Please click on the now red DOWNLOAD button; the file will start downloading. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the CUPS driver file from the website, please also download all other items from the DRIVERS and SOFTWARE sections of the webpage.

Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items on your Mac to install them, starting with the CUPS drivers file.  If you are connecting the printer wirelessly, please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last after all other items have been installed; if you are connecting the printer via USB cable, the Canon IJ Network Tool does not need to be installed.  Once all items have been reinstalled, please restart your Mac.

If you still run into difficulty after following the above recommendations, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) for further assistance.  A Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi kwinieck,

What is the model number of the Canon product that you own?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have a MG8120. Why would that impact installing Solution Menu EX? It worked ok on MacOS 10.10 Yosemite.

Hi kwinieck,

Not all printers are compatible with operating systems, but the PIXMA MG8120 is compatible with Macintosh OSX 10.11 El Capitan.  Let's start by making sure that you have the most current drivers.

1. Click HERE.

2. Scroll down to "Drivers" next to "Recommended Downloads."

3. Click "Select" next to "MG8100 series CUPS Printer Driver."

4. Accept the Terms of Service by clicking the checkbox.

5. Press "Download."

6. Open and run the file.

7. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Repeat these steps for the other drivers.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

I installed the 3 drivers. Then tried installing Solution Menu EX, and still get "Solution Menu EX can't be installed on this disk [Macintosh HD]. A newer version of this software alread exists on this disk." The file I'm installing is msmx-mac-1_4_1-ea11.dmg.

Hi kwinieck,

The file listed is for Macintosh OSX 10.10 Yosemite or earlier.  It does not appear to be available for OSX 10.11.  You might try installing the Quick Menu instead, which is supported by OSX 10.11.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

I installed Quick Menu, but it shows mostly blank rows. The Web Services row shows 5 icons, but all the other rows, e.g., Scan, Manual & Device Information, are empty.

Hi kwinieck,

I would like to have you reset the printing system on your Mac, then reinstall the drivers and software to see if this will resolve the issue.  To reset the printing system, please follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences should be empty. If your printer is still listed on the left select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it.

3. Restart your Mac.

Next, we will want to download the latest drivers from the Canon USA website. Please click here to go to the PIXMA MG8120 Drivers and Downloads page. Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.

2. Next, below the red box labeled "DRIVERS", locate the CUPS file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a dark gray DOWNLOAD button will appear; below that, a checkbox will be shown asking you to agree to the terms of the disclaimer to continue with the download. Please click in that checkbox to agree to the terms. When you do, the dark gray DOWNLOAD button will turn red. Please click on the now red DOWNLOAD button; the file will start downloading. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the CUPS driver file from the website, please also download all other items from the DRIVERS and SOFTWARE sections of the webpage.

Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items on your Mac to install them, starting with the CUPS drivers file.  If you are connecting the printer wirelessly, please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last after all other items have been installed; if you are connecting the printer via USB cable, the Canon IJ Network Tool does not need to be installed.  Once all items have been reinstalled, please restart your Mac.

If you still run into difficulty after following the above recommendations, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) for further assistance.  A Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Thank you.

You left out the last step for wireless connection: Select System Preferences / Printers & Scanners; wait until it detects the wireless Canon MG8120; add Canon MG8100 series (scanner); select Canon MG8100 series; add Canon MG8100 series_19BE5DC9DB88 (printer). After that, Canon Quick Menu shows all except Manual & Device Information.

Canon Quick Menu is peculiar for an Apple application in that the "Exit" button is on the lower-right and is labeled X. I would expect a red button on the upper-left, and/or a Quit button at the lower-right. And the small shortcut menu at the lower-right of the desktop has no "exit" button (must go to the Canon Quick Menu at upper-left in the desktop toolbar and select Quit Quick Menu).

But at least the Canon Quick Menu now works. Thanks again.

Jemsat81
Apprentice

@ Kwinieck

I am have the exact same problem, just can't get the last componet.  I have been trying for two day ow....I give up!!  Unless you've fugired it out Smiley Wink

Announcements