cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Printing/Queue Freezes

hartfran
Contributor

We just bought a  Pixma G4210 All-in-One. Simple documents were not printing, and the queue was freezing, including after I would try to delete print jobs to clear them out. Turned computer and printer on and off. Finally downloaded the driver from the web, which helped enough that we sometimes, after about 5 minutes, are able to print out short b&w documents. But still they don't clear from the queue, even once we delete/cancle them, so nothing else will print for another 5-10 minutes, if at all.

We're real novices, so before we return it, we welcome an easy fix for non-techie people. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi hartfran,

The first step would be to reinstall the driver.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4.  Right click the Canon G4010 series and left click on Remove device.  Repeat until all G4010's are removed.

5.  In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

6.  In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

7.  Click once on "G4010 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top.

8.  Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver.  When you click Complete,  the driver is uninstalled.

9.  Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1.  Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/megatank-inkjet-printers/...

2.  Click the Select button next to "G4010 series MP Drivers Ver.1.01 (Windows)".

3.  Click the Download button.  The drivers will download.

4.  Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder.  To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

5.  Double click "mpnp-win-g4010-1_01-ea34_2.exe" to begin the installation.

6.  Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Thank you for this direction. I'll do that as soon as I can. And I'll hope they can figure it out. I appreciate your efforts in this thread - we'll hope they have a magic pill or can confirm if this printer just doesn't work.

After waiting on hold for 27 minutes, with no recording even assuring me I was on the right line, I gave up. I'm ready to shout from the rooftops what a terrible company, with terrible products, this is!!

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi hartfran,

If the jobs are getting stuck in the print queue and stay there after the job is printed, you can try restarting the print spooler service on the computer. The print spooler is the service on your computer that manages your print jobs.

To restart the printer service, you can follow the steps below.

1. Press the Windows key and the letter R key on your keyboard at the same time.
  2. In the run box that appears you can type services.msc and you can click ok.
  3. Scroll through the list and highlight the print spooler service.
  4. Click on the option to restart in the upper left.

Once the print spooler has been restarted, you can try printing again to see if responds any faster.

Hi Hector. Thank you for writing. Before I try that, can you tell me if this is intended as a permanent fix? If I'd need to do that every time the printer freezes, that won't be a real solution.

Thanks,

Lois

Hi hartfran,

It is intended as a permanent fix but, it also is a good way of checking to see what is causing the issue. The printer gets the job bit by bit and the print speed relies on how fast it gets the data. The print spooler manages the print jobs in your queue and sends the jobs to the printer. If restarting the service resolves the issue, it would mean the jobs are having a problem being sent/deleted on the computer.

The best way to get a permanent solution would be to contact our support team over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. This way our team can assist in real time and check all of the variables that could cause an issue like this.

Thank you for getting back. We're giving this and try and will see how long the changes last. If they don't, we'll try once again to get through to support, when we have lots of time to wait.

Thanks again,

Lois

Announcements