cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner not available while in use - error

ktbills
Contributor

I have been scanning over a home network to my iMac without problem from my MX922 without problem for some time.  Now I  get an error message 2.249.0, the scanner is not available while in use by another application or user...

Restarting things does not seem to help, nor does re-selectin the IMac as the scan destination.Running OSX 10.9.5.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Ken

27 REPLIES 27

@mmj949 --

If I ever have this problem again, i will try your solution.  Of everything I have read it seems the most likely to fix the problem.  Thanks for posting!

Ken

OMG!

I'm not sure which of the recommendations fixed my problem, but i have been suffering this problem for months and been unable to find any decent advice anywhere. 

Ever since upgrading, this annoying image capture has been eating away at me. I hate it and I hate the fact it seems forced upon me when i was happily scanning away prior to its existence.

Anyway I digress, thank you so much for your contributions, without them i would still be in image capture hell.

I reinstalled the latest drivers as directed, restarted the MP Navigator, emptied the trash and investigated the Activity Monitor option, i kept deleting it but it kept reappearing but the first delete may have done the trick i don't know?

I don't usually post things but i thought i should contribute as this really saved my sanity.

Like i said, unsure exactly what fixed my problem, but thanks to this communtiy, after months of trying, I am at last free of the pesky image capture. For now.

Oh and just to add i agree with gaianscion, Stephen's reply was deeply offensive! the 'have a nice day' was condescending and a kick in the gut when I was in complete despair!

I had th Scanner not available error again.  This time I unplugged the printer for about an hour and then when I tried it again, no problem!  Hopefully this will work for me again next time and for others.

I had this problem. None of the mentioned solutions worked. But - turns out phile audio was using the scanner. I drag and drop scanned images into the app. Quit phile audio and all was fine. First time I have had this problem.

Agree with the comments re Canon customer service. Quite pathetic. Surprised they didn't suggest turning it on and off five times.

Some IT people should be banned from the internet for posting convoluted solutions to routine problems.

Thanks for those that posted sensible answers - all except the manufacturer basically.

Have a super great day everybody out there.

This didn't work for me. I am using CanoScan 9000F  MarkII scanner.

My problem is the application Image Captue.. Scanner worked fine when I used it. It is too limited for my use. I s there a way to  diaable or remove this application so that I can use the application that came with my scanner?

Hi larry316,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had Error 2.249.1 using Canon LiDE 110 with Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6 "the scanner is not available while in use by another application or user…" and quite the "Image Capture Extension" in the Activity Monitor, and the issue was remedied without having to restart the MP Navigator.

Stephen: this is totally unacceptable. The whole point of having forums like this is to publicize the answers to problems so they help others, like me, who are are having the same problem. Despite your nice attitude, this is horrible customer service and will play a substantial role in whether I buy Canon products again.
Announcements