cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner lines

utalice
Apprentice

I wasn't sure where to post this, since there's no location for Cannon Scanners.

I have a CanoScan 5600F that I bought in the past year and haven't used that often.  Today, I started scanning photos and noticed there's a dark line running from the top to the bottom of all of my large photos that are placed within a certain part of the glass platen.

I've looked at the glass and see nothing on it, it's been cleaned. It seems like there must be something on the bulb ?  How can this happen if nothing can get inside of the scanner? I hate to think I bought a scanner thats defective and is going to ruin all of my scans with this dark line running thru all of my photos.

To scan these images, I opened the MP Navigator and used 1-Click Scanning by clicking on SCAN-1 and going from there. I scanned my Cannon scanner manual as a black and white document and see no line at all.  I'm wondering if it's because it seems overexposed (and all my photos have a 'blue' tint to them, which is very disappointing for a Canon product) ?
I also scanned the manual in color and in grayscale and am including the images here for you to see.  None of the images have been retouched.

In trying different methods, I opened MP Navigator and instead of using the 1-Click Scanning, I tried using the Scan/Import instead and clicked on Photos/Documents (Platen) and used the "Scanner Driver".  The Document Type is a 'Black and White Photo'. I click to Open Scanner Driver. From there, I select my Source as a Document (Grayscale), Destination is Image display, Output size is Flexible. I Preview the scan, which shows no line in the image. I scan the manual and no line shows up in the scan.  I'm also including this image to view as "Scan Import Grayscale". I scanned the manual again as a color photo instead of a document. Again,  no line thru the image. This image is called "Scan Import Color".
When I scan again, this time NOT using the Scanner Driver, I scan as a Black & White Photo and click "Scan".  The line is back. I'm including the scanned image named, "Scan Import NO Scanner Driver".  You can find the images here:
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/dala_ohio/library/ .

I'm using Windows 8, 64 bit. The photos are being scanned as color photos at either 300 or 400 dpi.

Can someone give me an idea of what this is and how it can be corrected?

1 REPLY 1

Ramona
Authority

Hi utalice,

Calibrating the scanner may resolve the issue that is occurring.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Open MP Navigator.

2.  Once MP Navigator is launched, please click on the PHOTOS/DOCUMENT (Platen) option.  In the window that opens, please click on the USE THE SCANNER DRIVER checkbox, then press the green SCAN button to open ScanGear.

3.  When the ScanGear window opens, please click on the ADVANCED MODE tab, then click the PREFERENCES button at the bottom of the window.

4.  On the Scanner tab, please locate the Calibration Settings section, then click the EXECUTE button next to the Platen Calibration section.  

Once the calibration is complete, please attempt to scan again.  If you still experience difficulty, please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements