cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner Errors 15, 157, 0 on Pixma MX472 (Mac)

whatisaclaire
Apprentice

I just bought this printer and have been trying to get it to work with my Mac that's running OS X 10.7. At this point, I'm at a loss; I've tried plugging the scanner into the computer via USB, but that doesn't seem to get it to connect either. 

I connected it to the wireless network just fine. I just keep getting this message when I try to scan:

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
- Scanner is turned off.
- (If using Wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from Wired LAN.
- (If using wireless LAN connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.
- Network connection is prohibited by security software.
- Different scanner on the network is selected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,157,0

And when I use the panel on the printer itself, it doesn't do anything--I can choose all of the settings I want, but when I press Start, it tells me to "Please wait a while" and then nothing happens.

If I don't figure this out soon, I think I may have to return it and find something else that's more Mac-friendly. I'm pretty tech savvy and am usually very patient with things like this, but I have no idea what else to do... I've spent several hours trying to get it to work.

Please help!!

14 REPLIES 14

First, many thanks CasCyber.  I’ve been struggling with this for ages using an MG7750 and have tried everything I could think of, but was still getting the error intermittently.  Going the System Preferences route works fine!

Stevephua: what OS are you using?  With MacOS Sierra 10.12 I don’t get the screen you show, but one with a Print / Scan option.  Selecting Scan and then clicking ‘Open Scanner’ enables me to do a successful scan.  You do have the Scan Utility installed?

MissZ
Apprentice
This was the absolute best help ever. I don't kno why there isn't a simple solution for this but this works and I'll use this forever.

anstevens
Apprentice

mine is the pixma mg5765

cascyber,you led me to check my printer in system preferences at which point i noticed printer was reading offline on my mac (even though it had wifi written on the printer)

i then realised this is due to it not being connected to my computer, hence the error message 

thanks for the help here!

i then left (double finger) clicked on the image of the printer on the far left in the column and selected 'reset printing system'

this caused it to delete? uninstall? basically forget the printer and make it vanish.

i then downloaded the entire driver and software program for my model from the canon website. followed the instructions and basically this led me to start from scratch again.. didnt take long at all either.

working again!!

hope this helps, im sure there is an easier way but this was just me trying to navigate unknown territory that led me to do it in this order.

thanks for the discussion, id still be ripping hair out without it!

ps. i did have the print or scan buttons both present in my system preferences but it was the left column picture of my printer saying 'offline' that was the issue for me 🙂

canonhelhper
Apprentice

1.delete all canon related stuff from your Mac, even remove the printer.

2.Go to Canon.com/ijsetup

3. Find your product and follow setup procedure

4. Make sure you select IJ scan utility when prompted which software to download

5. When you get to the step of adding the printer wait until you see the printer with "Canon IJ Network" kind and click on it and add. (Don't click on Bonjour or Bonjour multifunction)

6. follow the steps. 

7. You're done. 

Reference: https://youtu.be/Yr0wXmeiPqw

You're welcome. 

jjordan204
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have a Pixma MX472 on Mac Big Sur and am getting this error. Any fixes?

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using Wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from Wired LAN.

- (If using wireless LAN connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- (If using USB connection) USB cable is disconnected.

Announcements