cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan

WhiteWolf1
Apprentice

Pixma MG6820 Scanning a photo takes two minutes.  Tried all the current troubleshooting methods.  No change. Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi WhiteWolf1.

Check the MG6820's network settings and confirm the signal strength. It should be at least 70%.  If the signal strength is 100%, ensure the printer is not right beside the router; there should be at least ~ 2 ft between the printer and router.  If the signal strength is under 70%, move the printer closer to the router and/or minimize obstructions between the two.

Once you've ensured 70% or greater signal strength and a minimum distance between the printer and the router, if the scan speeds are still slow, the next points of potential improvement are the security software on the computer, and the software from which you're scanning.

In the case that security software is slowing the communication between the MG6820's scanner and the computer, you may wish to add the relevant port and program exceptions to allow the data through.  Refer to your security software's documentation and support for directions on adding exceptions.

Regarding software issues, if you haven't done so already, try using the IJ Scan Utility.  The default settings should scan at a reasonable speed.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Welcome.  We need more information.

Scanning photos:

Scanning from the printer's control panel, Web server, from your computer, mobile device, running what OS, or from what apllication?

How is the printer connected and to what, etc.

The more details you can provide about your environment, and the specific steps you are performing, the easier it will be for us to try and help.  Otherwise all we can do is speculate. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, my printer is a Pixma MG6820 which I purchased in November 2018.  I am not scanning from the printer's control panel. When I do try, I get a message "set pc to start scanning".  I usually scan directly from my computer or my Samsung Galaxy android phone.  I run Windows 8.1.  My printer is communicating by wireless Xfinity router which I reset.  I don't understand the "application" question.  Please forgive my ignorance.  I was born before color TV and there were ony 48 states.  I downloaded a Canon printer driver from their website.  I unplugged the printer from the wall  and waited 20 minutes before plugging it back in.  I followed the web tutorial on how to hard reset the the printer. Still no improvement. I am a disabled Vietnam veteran and my next option is a Glock 9mm.  That's the jist of all my efforts.  I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help. Thanks.     Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Our hosehold recognizes and appreciates your service.  By application , I ment what program are you scanning from?

"Set PC to Start Scanning" - This message is displayed when the scanner needs a destination for the scan.  This is typically a networked computer or folder.

The Scanner connected wirelessly to an xfinity router should be able to provide adequete performance, even if scanning a larger photo wirelessly.  The amount of time it could take can depend on a few things.  Connectivity (speed and bandwidth) but more importantly, it might be related to the setings you have specified for the captured image.

Scanning at highr resolution DPI might impact the time it takes for a capture.  The scan itself can go pretty quickly, but the speed of yuor network, and the processing power of your computer might impact the time for the captured scan to be rendered or saved.

Have you tried lowering these settings?  Maybe try scanning at 200 or less DPI and lower resolution.  I don't know how big your image is? 

Let me know if this helps or decreases the time?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Greetings Rick,  I tried all the settings that you suggested to no avail.  It may likely be that my Toshiba computer is a dinasour.  I can live with the time it takes to scan.  It does scan and it does place the photo in the correct folder.  Not to worry, I once laid in a hole for three days.  I am patient.  Thanks for your valuable council.  Semper Fi.   Thomas

Hi WhiteWolf1.

Check the MG6820's network settings and confirm the signal strength. It should be at least 70%.  If the signal strength is 100%, ensure the printer is not right beside the router; there should be at least ~ 2 ft between the printer and router.  If the signal strength is under 70%, move the printer closer to the router and/or minimize obstructions between the two.

Once you've ensured 70% or greater signal strength and a minimum distance between the printer and the router, if the scan speeds are still slow, the next points of potential improvement are the security software on the computer, and the software from which you're scanning.

In the case that security software is slowing the communication between the MG6820's scanner and the computer, you may wish to add the relevant port and program exceptions to allow the data through.  Refer to your security software's documentation and support for directions on adding exceptions.

Regarding software issues, if you haven't done so already, try using the IJ Scan Utility.  The default settings should scan at a reasonable speed.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

flip104
Apprentice

This is a new one. My Pixma TR8520 does not seem to know that it has an ADF feeder. Trying to scan 4 text pages onto a memory card. The end result is that it tells me that "Documents cannot be scanned from the ADF with the current document type setting. Scan from the platen". At no prior point has it offered the chance to select the document type setting. Any suggentions?

Announcements