cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Save As' 21 File fault

AlbaMale
Apprentice

I use a Canon PIXMA MG5750 printer/scanner/copier and have a problem saving scanned images. In the 'Save Settings' I have set the  'Data Format' to JPEG/Exif but every scan I make is saved as '21 File' instead of 'JPEG'. I cannot open and edit the scanned image in Paint Shop Pro as it doesn't recognise the file type. I have to right click on the file in Explorer and  'Open With' 'Paint' before saving the image as a JPEG. I can then delete the '21 File' file from the folder in Explorer.

Okay, it's a solution but it's a bit annoying when I have a lot of scanning to do.

Does anyone know why these images are being saved as '21 File' files?

3 REPLIES 3

Tiffany

Welcome to The Canon Forums!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your product appears to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA. While the commmunity is welcome to chime in, the Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A simple google search reveals what the 21 File format is.  This has nothing to do with your Canon product.

It's not native to windows and was added to the OS.

Recommended solution, remove the software that generates this file extension.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thank you for your very fast response to my query. Much appreciated!

Since making my post earlier today, I went into Scan Settings for my printer to ensure that my selections were okay. Anything remotely doubtful I removed and re-entered, ie Data Format, Destination Folder, etc. I have no idea why but on the test scans I've done since then, the scans have been saved where they should be and are in the correct JPEG format.

Prior to this, the scans I made under the same settings (although prior to me re-entering my settings selections today), from early April until today, were saved in the correct destination folder but the file type was '21 File' and not 'JPEG' as I had stipulated in the settings. I've made a few tests and they have all been good.

Since then, I read your post and did a search for '21 File' and, although there were lots of results, they were all above my 'pay-grade' unfortunately, so I'm not much wiser in that regard! LOL.

I also did a search for software that generates '21 File' files so that I might find something that has been installed on my PC recently and remove it as you suggested but no luck.

I'm just happy that things are working okay and, if I never see another '21 File', that'll be too soon! It was driving me nuts!

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards, Derek.

Announcements