cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SORRY MY CANON MX 922 DOES NOT OFFER THE EXCELLENT MP-NAVIGATOR SOFTWARE. SCANNING IS A PAIN

realtorkenny
Apprentice

MY NEW MX 922 DOES NOT HAVE A DECIENT SCAN AS MY OLD CANON MX-892 HAD. NEED THE MP-NAVIGATOR SOFTWARE TO BE COMPATABLE WITH THE MX 922...........Smiley Sad

9 REPLIES 9

Ramona
Authority

Hi realtorkenny,

The MP Navigator program is not compatible with the PIXMA MX922; instead, the IJ Scan Utility program that comes with the printer can assist you with scanning.  To scan using the IJ Scan Utility, please follow these steps:

1. Place the first page of the document you would like to scan on the platen glass of the printer.

2. Start IJ Scan Utility program.

3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.

4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.

5. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.

a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.

b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the desired option. If you are scanning a multipage document, select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option. Note: If you are scanning photos, you will have the option of scanning items as JPEG, TIFF or PNG format.

c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS folder.

6. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

7. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.

Please note that if you want to scan photos, you would follow the steps above, except for instead of selecting the DOCUMENT SCAN option, you would select the PHOTO SCAN option in step 4, and you would click on the PHOTO button in step 7 instead of the DOCUMENT button.

Once the items above are set for document or photo scanning, in the future, you will only need to launch the IJ Scan Utility, then press either the DOCUMENT or PHOTO button to perform the scan (unless you want to make changes to the settings).

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are you kidding?! What is the point in having an excellent full duplex ADF with such a poor software solution?

I had an MX895 until earlier this week until it started to tell me that the wrong print head was installed. I have been so pleased with the MX895 that I immediately "upgraded" to the MX925. Not only is this printer missing a sheet feeder (and the second paper tray is too small for A4 paper), the software solution is appalling.

I receive around 10-20 mail items each day, which results in anywhere between 10 and 50 pages.

I put the documents in the ADF and MP Navigator EX scans them all while I am busy with other work. I then have my 50 thumbnails on the screen.

I tick (for example) 1,2,3 and 4, and save it as a PDF. I then tick 5, and save it as a PDF, and so on..... This means that the entire job takes around 10 mins to complete. Scanning 50 separate pages will take over an hour, and even scanning the 10-20 mail items individually will take a lot longer than scanning the entire stack of post together.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get MP Navigator EX to work with the MX920 series? Perhaps a registry hack or something?

Otherwise, does anyone know of any alternative software that can:

- Scan a large number of pages and show as thumbnails

- Save batches of the pages as single pdf files (not ALL of the scanned documents, but only those selected), each with their selected file names

- Auto rotate (essential) and doc fix (nice to have) the scans

- Save as a searchable pdf

I have found that I can do all of this with a combination of about four different software applications, but it will take nearly as long as scanning each document individually.

I really hope someone can help with this, as I am extremely disappointed with Canon and am looking at tracking down a second hand MX895, just to be able to use the software, which seems ridiculous.

Thank you for your help.

Your kidding...right?

Just being back the simple, efficient and user-friendly EX Navigator software that supported so many Canon MFunction users for so long.  Some things are beoken...so why not leave wellenough alone?

Not only that, but I can crop with MP Navigator and as someone else mentioned I can use the thumbnails to pick what and where I want to save the pdf's.  I have repaired my MX892 and will now get a new print head in order to keep using MP Navigator.  I am so very disappointed in Canon for not updating MP Navigator to be compatible with their newer printer/scanners.  All they have do is search reviews on Amazon, Best Buy and Canon to see that users who have used MPNavigator hate the new software that comes with the newer Canons.  Very unresponsive company.

I just signed up solely for the purpose of telling you that this is utterly and completely ridiculous. As far as I am concerned this printer is totally unusable as a scanner, unless you are interested in scanning a single page, and even then having to name the file before scanning, instead of having the date automatically assigned as Navigator did is ridiculous.  Like many others here I have been a long time user of Canon printers and consider the loss of Navigator a remarkablly horrible take away.  Unfortunately i bought mine 2 or 3 months ago and did not try to use the scanning function until today. Having gone through a few generations of Canon printers I assumed it would be the same or better.  This is step backwards - by a decade or more

You guys need to know that I would truly take this thing back immediately if it was not already too late - and then probably switch to another vendor. That should be a sad event to you as I have used Canon printers for easily over 10 years.  It is too late to return it, but I will go over to Amazon as soon as I am done with this post and give this worthless machine one star and try to convince as many people as possible to look elsewhere for a printer.

Dkfoshee
Apprentice

Its a total nightmare! Just set mine up and im horrified that the sofeward scanning is ridiculously complicated...are they serious?? I may have to return it- have you found a solution? DESPERATE

cokoamojo
Apprentice

I bought a Pixma 922 at BestBuy yesterday.

From the first time I opened the software I've had nothing but problems.

I thought it was just me.

From the posts here I'm obviously not alone.

I've used MP Navigator for years, no problem.

I have several hundred items to scan for ebay so the software has to be simple and straitforward. I scan coins, small books, etc., and every item has to be custom cropped to give a small border all around. MP Navigator allowed me to easily do this.

The new software is a mess.

I hit preview then crop around it. Then hit scan.........so where did the scan go and why isn't it in the edit screen (for further cropping, rotating, etc.)? After I closed Scangear I'm taken to the page where I just scanned three different items....but Scangear treats them as 1 item, so no individual saves.

And the wifi keeps dropping. This never happened with the MX 870.

I called customer and the very nice lady told me how good the printer is......but when I said I printed from my computer she said "oh...."

Why would they screw up something so simple?

I'm sure if you're computer savvy there are ways to do what I want to do....but I don't have time to learn them....and I shouldn't have to. There was no learning curve with MP Navigator.

Fortunately, I am returning the Pixma 922 to BestBuy today.

I'm going to try one of the HPs......I have used them before and at least from what I remember they were pretty user friendly.

Or perhaps a Brother.

But never, ever, another Canon!

And by the way, they have stopped responding to inquiries about the software for the 922......they'll tell you how great it is once, but don't expect a call back after that......

VERY disappointed.

The MX922 is the most popular and purchased ink jet on Amazon.  It never occurred to me the previous 5,000 purchasers were not using Navigator EX.  This machine will have to go back.  Have tried for a day, to figure I must be doing this wrong.  I am in with previous posters, in that "Canon has got to be kidding", that this is the new scanning system.  I have used Canon printers for 10 years because of Navigator EX.  I have scanned thousands of documents, receipts, etc...

Also agree with previous poster on customer service for this.  Through the automated phone system, by the time it determined, I was calling about a MX922 and scanning, the system announces we are closed, call back during normal business hours....

How can we find out which Canon printers are capatible with Navigator?  Have tried through this forum and Canon USA and no luck.  Occasionally have found a model without ADF which states (way back in the notes) machine will connect to Navigator One click.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements