cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeatedly asked to allow incoming network connection from MP980 (MP Navigator EX 2.0.7)

dj980
Apprentice

MP Navigator EX 2.0.7

Mac OS X 10.9.5

Every time I start MP Navigator EX and try to scan from it I'm asked if I want the app "MP Navigator EX 2.0.app" to accept incoming network connections. If I "Allow" all is well. As long as I keep the app open I can continue scanning without seeing this message again. But, if I close and reopen the app I'm asked again if I want the app to accept incoming connections.

I've add MP Navigator EX to my System Preferences->Security and Privacy->Firewall Exceptions List (i.e. always "Allow incoming connections"), but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I suspect this is because the MP Navigator app is not signed.

$ codesign -vvv MP\ Navigator\ EX\ 2.0.app/

MP Navigator EX 2.0.app/: code object is not signed at all
In architecture: ppc

I tried creating my own signing authority and signing it myself, but am unable to.

$ codesign --force --deep --sign "DJS_Signing_Identity" MP\ Navigator\ EX\ 2.0.app/
MP Navigator EX 2.0.app/: unsealed contents present in the root directory of an embedded framework
In subcomponent: /Applications/Canon Utilities/MP Navigator EX 2.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/BJEZDCNR.framework

After some googling I think the problem is that the unsealed contents prevent the signing. At that point I gave up, because it seems that to take care of this I need to rebuild the app (obviously outside my capabilities).

Any advice? It's really annoying to get this request to allow connections every time I want to scan something.

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi dj980,

We can reset the printer system on the computer, then install the latest drivers and software for the printer from the Canon USA website to try and resolve the issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Go to your Apple menu, then select System Preferences, then Printers & Scanners.

2.  Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

3.  If your printer is still listed on the left, select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it.

4.  Restart your Mac.

Next, we will want to download the latest drivers from the Canon USA website. Click here to go to the PIXMA MP980 Drivers and Software page.  Once on the initial download page for your printer, please do the following:

1.  Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2.  Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" section and click on the CUPS driver file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded and installed the CUPS driver file from the website, please also install all other items from the RECOMMENDED FOR YOU section, and the ICA drivers from the DRIVERS section of the website. You will also need to install the MP Navigator Opener and Canon IJ Network Tool files from the SOFTWARE section.  Please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last after all other drivers and software have been installed.  

Once all items have been installed, please restart your Mac and attempt to print.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried resetting my printing system and reinstalling CUPS, drivers, Navigator, etc (with the IJ Network tool last) as instructed. But, every time I start Navigator EX 2.07 and want to scan, I still get a window asking "Do you want the application “MP Navigator EX 2.0.app” to accept incoming network connections?" As before, this only happens the first time I scan after opening Navigator. If I leave Navigator open and do multiple scans, I'm only asked this once.

I checked and MP Navigator 2.0 is marked in my Firewall (System Prefs -> Security and Privacy) as "allow incoming connections".

Happens to me too, also with CNSSelectorAgent.app. Reinstalling won't help anything. The problem appears to be that the Canon apps are not codesigned. You can check this in Temrinal with the following command:

codesign -dv [drag application here to insert its name]

wilhosea
Apprentice

I had the same problem and I found a solution.  Don't know if it will work for you but here goes:  My router uses a 2.4ghz and 5ghz access point.  When establishing the connection between my network and printer the Canon rep told me to select both. My printer was trying to connect the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies simultaneously.  After several hours on the phone between Canon and Apple tech support I finally set up my my network with just a single access point (2.4ghz) and TOUCHDOWN! No more problems. The Canon rep also gave me a long speech about how Apple no longer accepted drivers for Canon's scanner because they wanted Mac owners to use their propreitary software (Image Capture).  That was absolutely not true. The Apple tech rep showed me a website where all Canon drivers are supported by Mac computers.  I don't know where the Canon tech rep got that from but I hope they recorded the call for "quality control" and set him straight. 

PS - I have a PIXMA 922
Announcements