cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refilling PGI-280 - Blk ink cartridge on PIXMA TR8520

Jack3
Contributor

Would appreciate knowing if anyone using this printer & print cartrdge has found a way to refill this cartridge.  Thanx, Jack

7 REPLIES 7

PDIT
Contributor

You can refill the cartridge in the same way as earlier cartridges but as yet cannot re-set the ink-levels on the chip.

Thank you for your response!  Gives me hope for this new ptr.  Pls permit me a follow up question - I currently use a refill kit for the black cartridge in my PG-210 canon black cartridge......will I be able to continue using the same refill ink?  Thanx in advance.  Jack

The OEM PGi280 cartridge uses a high quality black pigment ink. Without knowing the quality or type of ink you have been using in your refil kit, I can't be confident of the result as the PG210 is much older and originally used a lower grade ink.  Using lower grade pigment ink will result in nozzle blockages or distorted print as the ink droplet speed is maginally slower.

Many refil kits use dye ink instead of pigment (its cheaper) and this will generally be safe to use although the print will not be as crisp.  Because the TR8520 has an inbuilt print-head, don't skimp on ink quality as the cost of replacing the print-head will likely be more than a new printer. Beware of inks that have a strong chemical or alcohol smell - this is usually an indication of a cheap solvent base which can have a longer term harmful effect on the print-head.

You can use a syringe and 23g needle to inject ink into a standard cartridge. Insert the needle past the edge of the inkpad on an upturned cartridge all the way through the sponge. Inject enough ink (approx 5ml) to saturate the sponge then remove the needle and turn the cartridge upright to let any excess ink drain back into your ink container. This will not fill the reserve tank on an XL cartridge. There are other procedures to do this.

Since you cannot re-set the ink levels on the chip, you will need to ok the ink out warning on the printer to disable ink level monitoring and continue printing. Be observant of print quality and fill any cartridge as soon as it runs dry. Printing with an empty cartridge will soon cause printhead nozzles to overheat and fry remaining ink solid.

How do you "ok the ink out warning on the printer?" I have likewise refilled the cartridges and cannot for the life of me find a way to do this using internet searches. I did a factory reset and that didn't work. Please advise. Thank you.

How do you ok the ink out warning? Thank you.

To ok the ink empty warning:

When you send a print job to the printer with an empty cartridge it will give you a message that says the printer ink has run out and that continuing to print may cause damage. It also says that to continue press and hold the stop/reset button for 5 secs. The stop/reset button has the red circle with a red triangle inside it on your printer panel.

This will allow you to continue printing until the next cartridge is detected empty which will trigger the same warning. It is important to note the if you do continue to print without ink in a cartridge, you will cause the ink-jet nozzles for that colour to fail permanently.  Note also that the two black cartridges are different (one pigment and one dye) and they feed to different ink nozzles so both must have ink supply.

Thank you for the message.

Is the "stop/reset" button the one that appears on the touch-screen? The model I have has only 1 hard "button." Everthing is on the touch screen.

The problem is that when the cartridge ran out, I replaced it with a cartridge I had refilled. I don't recall a red button to cancel but maybe it was there. Now I'm not sure how to go back to get that red circle button back, because all I see now are yellow x's above the ink levels (showing low/no ink level?) and  I'm not sure how to cancel the yellow x's out. I understand the ink cartridge iteself is sending this message, because it "thinks" it's empty although they are not. The printer believes the signal because it's not printing well, even though the tanks are full (filled twice, actually, b/c I thought Costco messed up at first). 

One of the 2 black ink is still fine, but the other one (which I refilled) I replaced, but it's also showing the yellow x and printing poorly. In total I replaced 3 ink cartridges with refilled ones and all 3 are showing these yellow x's.

Thank you for your help!

Announcements