cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear feeding paper tray

robex
Apprentice

Can anyone give me list of PIXMA MG series or MX series printers which have a rear feeding paper tray

same as the MG5320 and MX892?

33 REPLIES 33

I also find myself in this dilema. I have been a Canon girl, as I call it, since the early 2000s. I purchased a MX922 and have it packed to return. I don't understand upgrading the equipment and taking away features. This is the first time this has happened in all of my Pixmas. Very disappointed. I now find myself searching through HP & Epson, much to my dismay. Get it together Canon. 

I've just joined the "club" with my rear feed Canon PIXMA about to stop working because of the ink absorber almost full!  Can't find another rear feed Canon.  Did you find a suitable rear feed Epson or HP?  I need it for printing checks at work!

After my Canon Pixma iP4820 died due to ink absorber full, I researched printers to death.  Finally got an Epson XP-960 for the wide format feature, which I like for printing genealogy charts and maps.  The XP-960 has a rear feed for specialty papers, including 11" x 17".  However, its rear feed does not operate like the Canon, where I could load multiple sheets at a time.  With the Epson XP-960, you load one sheet at a time, and only after prompted to do so during the print process.  So if you need to print many pages of checks, this may not work for you.  I assume you could use the front-loading input tray for the checks, as I do with plain paper, but I'm not sure.

Overall the Epson XP-960 does a good job, but I miss the convenience of the rear loading tray that the Canon iP4820 had. Good luck in your search!

KarenB,

Check out my post above (Message 22) and Carolyn_B (Message 29) right above this one.

We both selected the Epson XP-960 as our replacement.

My post was edited to remove the hyperlinks to other vendors, but the main idea is still fully intact.  You'll just need to use a little Google-Fu to find my references.

If I recall correctly, I believe all the current Epson XP-series have rear feed, even their entry level XP-330. 

(I know for sure the XP-330 does because I just looked on Epson's website.  And I know the XP-860 and -960 do.  So, it wouldn't seem out of the realm of possibilty to correctly assume all the XP-series do.  But of course, confirm for yourself.)

I don't think that the XP-960 is only single-sheet feed as Carolyn_B states, but I can't say that I've tried feeding more than one at a time.  And I'm not near my printer right now to confirm.

I'm assming Carolyn_B (Message 29) is correct. I have the Epson XP-860 and can confirm that the rear feed is terrible. One sheet at a time and only after the printer says ok and you click ok. Craziness.

I miss my MX-892 and have yet to find a replacement that works as it did. (Give me a break, Canon, you had a good thing going.)

Canon does appear to have some rear feed only printers in the Pro section, Canon PRO 100 and the like, but that doesn't compare to the handling from the MX-892.

I just want to print a hundred nice Christmas cards a year on the same printer I use for everything else. Why not?

@kdacar wrote:

I'm assuming Carolyn_B (Message 29) is correct. I have the Epson XP-860 and can confirm that the rear feed is terrible. One sheet at a time and only after the printer says ok and you click ok. Craziness.

I just want to print a hundred nice Christmas cards a year on the same printer I use for everything else. Why not?

So why not use the dedicated bottom card stock feeder on the XP-860? You can load up to, what...20-50 sheets of cardstock in it. Is your card stock too heavy to fully wrap around the feed rollers, as opposed to pulling it down from the top-rear feed? (mildly off-topic) Smiley Wink

As you point out, the stock is heavy so it gets a curl "fixed" into the paper when coming from the feeder which is exactly what the rear paper feed solves. (back on topic!)

Also, the Expson output quality isn't half what the Canon MX-892 was. **bleep** you Canon! (off topic again)

Your IP4300 was one of the best printers forever, now the used one costs about $200. I'm surprised that Canon does not see it - it is so abvious there should be a cheap rear loading printer, otherwise Canon looks not really smart.

I  too am looking for a rear feeding printer. I've had an iP4500 for many years and the print head is giving up. It's one of the best printers I've ever had. Canon are losing their way if they don't introduce a another rear feeder!!!

I had the MX892 and it just went on the blink. I bought the MX922 and am returning it today. You went backwards with the upgrades. As far as finding another MX892, it is now priced 3 times the amount I paid when it was brand new. Seriously???

Announcements