cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear feeding paper tray

robex
Apprentice

Can anyone give me list of PIXMA MG series or MX series printers which have a rear feeding paper tray

same as the MG5320 and MX892?

33 REPLIES 33

I ended up with an Epsom ET 2550 and so far have been pretty happy with it.  Not the quality of my old Canon, but it's the best I could find!

Andre_L
Apprentice

There are quite a few of the PIXMA MG-series that have rear feed. For example, the MG6220 has a rear feed.  Canon refers to it as rear tray or Automatic Sheet Feeder.

For example, if you search their FAQ for MG6220 rear tray

I too am trying to find a rear feed model to replace my MG6220's that I've repurposed with other family members.  I currently have both Epson and Canon printers.  I like the Canon MG-series because I can easily remove the print head (on most of them) for cleaning.  (5:1 or 10:1 solution of Distilled Water and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol is the magic formula being sold by online companies claiming to have a special/secret forumla printhead cleaning formula.)

The Epson's I like better due to the additional ink tank colors (light magenta & light cyan) versus the Canon's standard CMYK (and sometimes Gray)

While writing this reply, I tried to narrow my search in Canon's FAQ section.  You can tinker with the filters and search criteria to get different results.

Start with searching for these words: rear tray PIXMA MG

Then, in the left-hand frame, set your filters to

• Products
    • Printers
      • Inkjet Multifunction
        • MG-Series Inkjet

Note_1:  Whenever you click Search, it resets your filter selection. 

Note_2: Search results are not all inclusive because it doesn't include any reference to the MG6220 referenced in my first link above.

Today I picked up a MG5622 from WalMart hoping it had a rear tray.  NOPE!  So back it went 20 minutes after purchasing it.  Seems that the only way I can know if a Canon has rear feed is to find a floor model & look, purchase-then-check, search the Canon FAQs, or hope my Google-Fu is strong.

UPDATE: I've done some more digging around.  While I haven't been able to confirm all the MG's currently listed on their site do not have a rear feed, there are two others areas of Canon's site you can check.

1. Click on the printer and look at the full specs. (Expand Main Unit Specs).  Look for the field titled "Output Tray Capacity".  For whatever reason, that corresponds to the input trays. If it lists two separate numbers, then the printer has two input trays.  That will typically infer a rear tray feed option. However, if it only notes a specific size of paper, such as "5x7", then that likely refers to a top & bottom front-tray loading setup.
  2. At the top of the printers product page, click the red "play" button.  That will pop up window with video and a 360° view. Look through the 360 view.  One of the shots may show the rear tray opened up.  For example, the MG8120 will show the rear tray extended in one of the slides represented in the 360° view.

Andre_L
Apprentice

So, after more searching, I'm fairly confident in stating that as of this writing, none of the PIXMA MG-series have a rear paper feed.  That being said, I'm forced to go back to Epson.  I'm OK with that in the long run since I'll get a SquareTrade 3-yr warranty for a couple extra bucks.  When it comes to inkjets, even with my knowledge of maintenance and cleaning, I still don't expect much more than 3 years from a printer, so I almost always make out with the extended warranty.

In the basic Epson XP-series, you get the basic CMYK (dye) + K (pigment) ink tanks.  Stepping up to the next group in the XP-series, you get the 6-color Claria inks, which are all dye-based: CMYK + Light C + Light M.  This is because the printer is focused on photo printing.

For the basic printer needs, I recommend the Epson XP-630.  (My XP-610 threw an unrecoverable error, so that's why I'm replacing it.) The XP-610 and XP-620 are end of life in the sales channel.  These printers do NOT have rear feed. 

I decided to pop for the 6-color setup.  The Epson XP-860 and XP-960 are definitely more expensive at $215 and $230, respectively.  However, both have rear feed as well as a dedicated photo paper tray and disc tray.  The 860 does borderless prints up to 8x10. The 960 does borderless up to 11x17.  For $15, it's a no-brainer to get the additional print capacity of the 960.  (These prices are current on Amazon with free Prime shipping.)  The printers are the same price ($230 + free shipping) directly from Epson.

Once I have the printer, I'll be ordering [Removed link per Forum Guidelines]. I've been through tons of various refillable tank suppliers. InkOwl is by far the best quality.  And their customer service is beyond compare!  Since I already have other Epson printers (Artisan 1430 for example), they use the same ink.  However, if this is your first time with refillable ink, you'll need the [Removed link per Forum Guidelines] supply to go with it.  BTW, I also get my Canon refillable tanks and ink from them too!

UPDATE: [Removed link per Forum Guidelines]!  I'm not even going to think twice.  At that price, it also qualifies for the less-expensive SquareTrade 3-yr warranty for $15.99!  Done, Done, AND DONE!!!! (Says price is good until 19-MAR-2016)

$216 for the printer w/3yr Squaretrade warranty, $35 for the refillable cartridges, and $60 for the Claria bulk ink, which should last years for most people. $315 out the door.  Yeah, more expensive than the respective Canon, but it also does so much more.  (But not including the ink & tanks, $216 is better than any of the current Canon offerings.)

Wondered how you like your Epson XP-630?  I have been happily using my Canon rear feed printer - but it is about to stop working because of that ink absorber full.  I can't find another Canon rear feed.  I use the rear feed to print checks at work because it is so easy that way!

Announcements