cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Incoming Faxes forcing me off phone calls

thanesq
Apprentice

I have a Canon MX452 AIO.  I have it setup in tandem with my home phone to receive faxes.  I've noticed that when I am on a phone call the line will go blank and my person I'm talking to says they hear the fax noise and then are disconnected.  I am also disconnected from the call as well.  I notice when this happens that the FAX Memory light on the MX452 is blue during this.  I don't understand how a call can come thru while I'm on the phone and disconnect my call.  The only solution I've found is that I can unplug my phone line from the fax machine.  

Is there some setting that I don't have set correctly on my printer or is this a limitation of the printer and/or software?

Regards,

T

4 REPLIES 4

Ramona
Authority

Hi thanesq,

Turning the User-Friendly Reception (RX) feature of the fax off should prevent the fax from interrupting your phone calls.  To turn off User-Friendly reception, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the FAX button.  The Fax standby screen is displayed.

2.  Press the MENU button.  The FAX menu screen is displayed.

3.  Use the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons to select RECEIVE MODE SET, then press the OK button.

4.  Use the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons to select the TEL PRIORITY receive mode, then press the OK button.  The confirmation screen asking whether to make advanced settings is displayed.

5.  Use the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons to select YES, then press the OK button.

6.  Use the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons to select USER-FRIENDLY RX, then press the OK button.

7.  Use the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons to specify the OFF setting, then press the OK button.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The only problem with turning off the User Friendly Reception is that the machine will no longer distinguish between a phone call and fax, it will treat all incoming calls as phone calls.  And I saw on one forum that this did not fix his problem.  We are having the same problem with a MF8580cdw printer/copier/fax machine.  I have seen on these forums at least two other different models with the same problem.  Must be a Canon issue.

Hi daysister,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

We're suffering from this malady too. It seems that this is mostly endemic to Canon since Googling the symptoms results in seemingly only Canon owners. Some posts are several years old. I just can't believe that this problem isn't solved yet. Some suggested solutions seen off the wall. Don't the Canon employees use their own product?

BTW. We have the 8580 CDW hooked up to a TAD and have upgraded to the latest firmware. There are also issues with the Scan features too, but the FAX interruption problem takes precedent.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements