cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing in black and white only - looking for a definitive solution

Kotrab
Apprentice

Hi

I've been trying to find out once and for all how to make sure my black and white text documents are printing only from the large pigment-based cartridge (525 PGBK), rather than using the smaller black dye-based cartridge (526BK), or from a combination of the dye-based colour cartridges. I've trawled through endless forums, and finally in frustration I recently called Canon's Australian phone support team.

I thought I'd nailed it. The phone support person told me that if the document I'm printing is definitely black only, then all I need to do is print normally, with grayscale DE-selected. He said nothing about also de-selecting duplex. But I've since read online advice that contradicts this in relation to other models (I haven't found any advice based specifically on the MG6150, apart from the phone guy from Canon). Some say you need to SELECT grayscale and DE-select duplex; others say to DE-select both grayscale and duplex; others say to select grayscale, DE-select duplex, and also select dither (on my screen that's under Main > Print Quality > Custom). I'm now wondering whether I've nailed it after all.

If anyone from Canon is reading this, can you please give a definitive answer to these questions:

1. How do I ensure that my black and white text documents print only from the large pigment cartridge?

2. Can I print in automatic duplex using this method, or do I have to do manual duplex?

2. Will this also work for purely black and white NON-text documents as well (e.g., photos that have been converted from colour to B&W)?

3. If not, is there another way of forcing B&W NON-text documents to print from the pigment cartridge? What about a way of forcing colour documents to print from the pigment cartridge?

4. If my smaller black dye cartridge (526BK) isn't being used up at the same rate as the other dye cartridges, is there a way of forcing the printer to use this instead of the pigment cartridge for B&W text documents, but NOT to mix in any of the colour cartridges at the same time?

5. Does this procedure work for all other Canon printer models in addition to the MG6150, or just a limited range?

Many thanks for your patience in reading this -- I'm really trying to get the best out of my printer rather than give up and buy a different brand, and I'm sure others would appreciate a definitive answer to these questions as well.

2 REPLIES 2

reallyannoyed
Apprentice

I have at MG8100 and it seems that there is no solution to this. I have scoured the web for one and it seems that there is no way to print in black and white only. The grayscale option uses all the colours including black to print.

I have gone through a ton of colour ink just printing black and white documents. Its cost me a fortune and I've worked out that I can get it done cheaper by going to the print shop.

As far as I am concerned this unbelievable. A printer that doesn't give you the option to print using black ink only! And its not advertised or made known in any way. You have to buy the product and then find out later that it does not have a black and white print option. It seems there are a lot of people out there that are unhappy about this, and the "problem" seems to go quite far back. Why haven't Canon responded by adding this feature?! I wont say it here, but I think it must be obvious. Brings to mind the story of housecleaning product manufacturers that increase the size of the closures so that consumers will use more of the product, which is actually wasteful, so as to increase the purchase cycle.

This leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm flogging mine now, and I am done with Canon for good!

I agree, it seems to be a common complaint. Usually you get a response that says the color cartridges need to be used, or they will clog and dry up. While I can understand that to a certain extent, it seems that the color cartridges are used far more than the black cartridge.
Announcements