cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing B&W to MP990 from Mac running O/S Big Sur

wbaskin
Apprentice

After updating to O/S Big Sur I was able to access the MP990 purchased long ago.
However, I cannot change any printer settings. 
Previously, the MP990 offered many settings.  

But now, I can only use the default settings, and I can't determine the default settings.

I need to print "plain" documents.
1). How can I print to the MP990 in Black & White-- abd only Black & White?

I don't want the printer using any color cartridges.

I purchased the MP990 to generate photo-qaulity output.

2) How can i create photos using the MP990?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your printers support page has a IJ Networking Driver v4.7.2 avaialble for your printer under OSX Big Sur 11.0.  I do not know if it will work with 11.1.

The IJ Networking tool will provide basic printing functionality only.  

Support | MP Series | PIXMA MP990 | Canon USA

Upgrading your OS with a functioning printer to a non-supported operating system > This can break many things.  I would suggest starting over at this point.  Uninstall the printer and ANY unsupported software.  Restart your MAC, and install the printer using the IJ Networking Tool above. 

You will not have the same level of functionality you had previously.  If your printer is not supported you only have a few options:

Full functionality - Revert to a supported OS

Reduced functionality - Uninstall / Reinstall under Big Sur

Buy a printer that is certified for the OS you have chosen. 

Some Canon printers (inkjet) offer black and white printing.  If yours is a supported model, you have to specify plan paper in order to print B&W without using any other inks. 

Why?  Photos and photo paper require all inks to produce black, so you can only print with plain paper if you only want to use black ink. 

The following instructions apply to B&W printing under OSX.  I can't promise they will work with Big Sur:

Canon Knowledge Base - Print Using Only Black Ink With OS X

Other considerations.  Its possible to greatly reduce the service life of your printhead by leaving color ink tanks empty and printing only black indefinitely.  Its important to be aware of this.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Many thanks.

I'll try your suggestions but also suspect a new (and Big Sur supported) printer may be necessary.

Regards

Announcements